Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software and computer

Software and computer

I am currently using Automix to mix music for events and I'm looking to get a new computer and want to get a newer program to use. Any suggestions? Also could use suggestions on brand and memory size. I have been using the laptop I have now for about 10 years. Time to upgrade!

Good question. There is a lot to consider. Basically get something with at least 8 gigs of ram and a 1.5 GHz processor. The more ram the better and the faster the processor the better. There are many brands that will do the job quite well. I use an HP Envy. It starts up really fast and works super well so far. I blog about laptop specs here.

I don't like to speak badly about any brands but I would avoid Dell right now. Or at least avoid the 2 models I've had. I had 2 Dell laptops that had issues. My Dell Inspiron (7000 series) had a power cord that had to be replaced, the display panel had to be fixed, the fan runs often and loud, and it would run slowly although it had 16 Gigs of ram. My HP Envy also has 16 Gigs of Ram and it performs much better. I believe it's a gaming laptop. I also have a Dell Precision 5510 laptop with 32 gigs of ram, which runs nice and fast but I also had to replace the power cord. Also, the touch pad area is protruding from the laptop for some reason.

If I was buying another laptop I would buy a gaming laptop - one with minimum gaming specs because I'm not a gamer. See this PC World article.
    Last edited by djeternal; 08-28-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

What about software? I looked at virtual DJ and a couple others but not sure what to get.

If you buy a controller that comes with a Serato DJ license then you you should probably use Serato DJ. Keep in mind that you don' t have to use Serato DJ. Your software choice depends on your preferences. You can download trial versions of Virtual DJ and Serato DJ. There is a free (lite) version of Serato DJ. You can use both of them without a controller, if you don't have a controller. See which interface you like best and go from there.

I should add that Traktor is another viable option. The annoying thing with Traktor is that they have a demo version that works for 30 minutes and then I think you have to restart it. At the end of the day it all depends on which software interface you prefer.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

I suggest you go with Virtualdj software. It is the most versatile and once you get it all updates are free and it works with all controllers, midi gear and timecoded vinyl. If you decide you want to buy another controller or mixer from another company down the road you don't have to worry about switching software.

I've been DJ'g with several software programs. I loved Tractor - the old version but no longer trusted it. I am now using Virtual DJ. I have been having issues w/ music stoppages. I'm going to upgrade my laptop to see if that helps. Currently has 8mb of memory. Going to upgrade hd to ssd too. I'm so tired of not being able to trust DJ software. I'm at a lost on which program to use.

I used vdj before I when I first got my cheap controller. It was ok, but did not love it.

I now have a numark ns6 and serato. It is great. I am getting the numark ns6II for xmas.

VDJ is good to start out with - you might not want to go all in and get a top of the line controller before you mix a bit and see what features you would want in a professional controller. That will kind of steer you which way to go with dj software.

Welcome to DJF, meshouston23 and cfrdog!

If you're starting out, pick a DJ app that appeals to you and then look for a controller that support the DJ app. Most typically use Serato DJ, Virtual DJ, or Traktor - but there are more apps like RekordBox DJ and more.

Pick a DJ app and controller and get to practicing. After a while, the differences in DJ apps starts to become more and more apparent as you learn one DJ app.

Don't get too bogged down in trying to pick the "right" DJ app. In about six months, you start really wanting certain features and you might find yourself wanting an entirely new DJ app and controller!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I think you need the computer which has optimal performance capabilities for your production needs and has the ability to grow with you as you need to expand. I have listed here some good PC's for you. Have a look:
    Asus ROG.
    Apple MacBook Pro.
    HP ENVY Notebook.
    Lenovo ThinkPad P50.
    Dell XPS 15 Laptop.
    Apple iMac.
    Acer Predator.
    You can have look at this software, they are really good for your work. For example, Ableton Live, Native Instruments Traktor Pro, Serato DJ, Mixxx etc.

Serato DJ Crates Gone

Hi

Is any one familiar with Serato Pro DJ ??

I have had to reformat an external drive which held all my music on which I also use for Serato. Before formatting I backed up entire drive. After reformatting the external drive I copied all files back successfully.

I then started up Serato to find that all my crates/subcrates are missing. When I check the serato and serato back up files all the crates are there , so why is it that the actaul program is not picking them up.

Contacted Serato via their support team 3 days ago and had no response .

Plz someone help
    Last edited by FadaStarky; 10-22-2021 at 12:32 PM.