Thread: From A Belt Drive Turntable to the DENON MCX8000 Controller

From A Belt Drive Turntable to the DENON MCX8000 Controller

I started DJing when I was 13 on my Dad's belt driven turntable back in the '80s. I had to try and beat match with that thing manually (finger resistance to slow the platter down and spinning the record faster to speed it up) - trying to sustain constant momentum throughout!
    Finally, in the '90s I was able to buy two 1200s. Man! What a difference! Around 2005 I bought a dual CD unit - the Denon DN9000. Whoa! Another game-changer! Digital mixing with effects capability with sampling and looping functions meant I didn't have to buy 2 copies of the same song on vinyl!
    Blah, blah, blah *got married, had a kid, etc, etc* and I find myself itching to get back on the (jog) wheelz of steel - or whatever material they're made of now.
    So late last year I started researching DJ controllers. Early this year I bought the MCX8000. I realize PIONEER is the club standard and holds a massive share of the market with their controllers - but I decided on the Denon. I liked its capability of being a standalone player (no laptop needed) and it was more cost effective than the XDJ-RX2 or the mind-boggling, wallet-depleting DDJ-RZX!
    I've been using the MCX8000 (standalone with a flash drive) for a few months now and once again I am amazed at the technological advancement in equipment. Occasionally, I will plug in my laptop and use Serato and revel in all its capabilities.

As a mobile DJ in Toronto in the '90s - I remember lugging crates and crates of records as well as your turntables, mixer, amplifiers, speakers, lights in the dead of winter, risking your beloved vinyl cracking in the freezing cold! Even when I was fortunate enough to score some club gigs, I still had to carry some select vinyl in a record bag.

I am soo envious of today's DJ. While still having to lug (active) speakers and lights to a gig - you can lighten your load with a single controller and have your desired music catalog in your laptop or an external hard drive.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Piano players from the old saloons were disgruntled with the mechanical piano. Then they said kids never had it so easy before the mini Moog

Having used both pioneer and denon, I think that even if the build quality can be on par, sometimes denon's features felt a bit more convoluted to use. I.e. denon CD players always did my head in to set remaining time instead of elapsed time which was hidden in a button's submenu.

That said I agree, pioneer has always been overpriced. Denon shows you can get similar for less money.
    Last edited by Manu; 08-26-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Welcome to the forum. I took a similar path as you. Started with 1200s then went to CDJs and now I also own the MCX8000 - I really like it. It's my standalone controller of choice. The XDJ-RX2 is a little too pricey in my opinion. If it shipped with a Serato license then that would be a different story.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

Slight OT, how's the firmware on the MCX? About a year ago, I remember hearing about it having a lot of bugs - particularly if you're running in standalone (non-SDJ) mode. As a result, I kept reading that most DJs used the MCX as a controller with SDJ and using standalone mode as a backup.

What are your thoughts?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Slight OT, how's the firmware on the MCX? About a year ago, I remember hearing about it having a lot of bugs - particularly if you're running in standalone (non-SDJ) mode. As a result, I kept reading that most DJs used the MCX as a controller with SDJ and using standalone mode as a backup.

What are your thoughts?
    The Engine 1.5 firmware has been fine for me. I've been using the controller for about seven months primarily as standalone and have not experienced any glitches. There is a beta version available now of ENGINE PRIME which is supposed to be better. I'm in no hurry to get the beta version as I have had no issues.

I have not had any issues with the MCX in standalone mode (or in general) but truth be told I mostly use it with my laptop and Serato DJ. I plan to do more standalone mode sets in the future.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

Sorry for the bump... Came here researching Denon controllers because I'm thinking about picking one up, for almost all the same reasons, right down to being a DJ in Toronto in the 90s.

Lugged around crates of vinyl and CDs for years. Was lucky enough to do almost exclusively clubs so I got to skip the PA and lighting though.

I'm considering the 4000 and 6000, though concerned they might be a bit too old. Are these units still relevant in 2019? (I mean mostly for messing around at home but maybe play the occasional event)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Groovejumper; 05-22-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Groovejumper View Post
    Are these units still relevant in 2019? (I mean mostly for messing around at home but maybe play the occasional event)
    Apologies Groovejumper - didn't see this post until now when looking for this thread to reference for another member.

A year later (almost to the date) what controller did you decide on - if any?

I will refer that thread to you and this thread to that member: Denon MCX8000 in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by BDC View Post
    Apologies Groovejumper - didn't see this post until now when looking for this thread to reference for another member.

A year later (almost to the date) what controller did you decide on - if any?

I will refer that thread to you and this thread to that member: Denon MCX8000 in 2020
    Went with a Prime 4 and couldn't be happier! (well I suppose maybe slightly happier with the separates but honestly I really do love what I have).