Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers help

Speakers help

Hi,

I am looking to buy some speakers in the next few weeks and have my eye on a pair of white HS8's

I would rather not spend so much money on my first pair of monitors so can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative but still looking as snazzy as the HS8's, love the blue logo lighting up..

Thanks

I'm guessing you're referring to the Yamaha HS8, a very good monitor (costs $349 each). I use the JBL 308P, which sounds fabulous and is a great cheaper alternative at $249 each.
    Last edited by djeternal; 08-18-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

I am considering the Pioneer DM-40-W as a starter speaker and get the HS8 when I have more money, will these service any purpose in music production or are they too cheap?

Those are good speakers for the money. They are only "too cheap" if you need something louder and more capable. It all really depends on your music production environment. For example, if you are playing really loud complex music where you need to hear all frequencies really well then those might be too cheap. If that's not the case then they will do fine.
    Last edited by djeternal; 08-19-2018 at 01:16 AM.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

That's why I am asking the question really, if I wanted to produce or mix music like this >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHRUsP20dQ

Would the DM-40 suffice or would something where I can hear all frequencies like you say, iv'e heard the HS8's are very flat is this what's meant when you can hear everything clear..

You could get a pair of HS5's then add the matching sub later. But without the sub they're still quite nice.

Seriously... for the price, these are the best monitors. 8's might be too big for your room, go with smaller. BUT... as far as quality is concerned, no monitor comes close in the price range. Well worth the money. Good resale value for when you want to upgrade or sell on later.

I have BM5's and Eve 305's. Considerably more expensive yet i thoroughly recommend the Yamahas at their price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stevens View Post
    That's why I am asking the question really, if I wanted to produce or mix music like this >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHRUsP20dQ

Would the DM-40 suffice or would something where I can hear all frequencies like you say, iv'e heard the HS8's are very flat is this what's meant when you can hear everything clear..
    That is a nice mix. It is simple from a sound perspective. The DM-40 would suffice for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stevens View Post
    iv'e heard the HS8's are very flat is this what's meant when you can hear everything clear..
    Flat... as in replicates all frequencies as truest to the original waveform. A lot of speakers have spikes at certain frequencies, which i bad, you'll make mix decisions, EQ choices based on your speakers, not the actual source material. Also there's how accurately the magnet controls the basket, how well it translates the transients of the sounds. We don't get much info on that even though it's a lot more important. A lot of the 'flat' thing is marketing hype, especially when you know the room itself will do more damage to the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Also there's how accurately the magnet controls the basket, how well it translates the transients of the sounds. We don't get much info on that even though it's a lot more important. A lot of the 'flat' thing is marketing hype, especially when you know the room itself will do more damage to the sound.
    Yeah I've yet to see T/S parms for monitors which is a quite common practice in the PA business.