Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are amateur EDM DJ's the cockiest SOB's ever?

Are amateur EDM DJ's the cockiest SOB's ever?

Is it just me or does it seem that "strictly" EDM DJ's are the most cocky, big headed, full of themselves type of DJ's out there? I've met so very few EDM DJ's who aren't completely full of themselves yet they don't even know how to play an opening set, can't play for 4 people, demand the big crowd and the prime slots, can't adapt to the crowd when their premade set isn't vibing. Like WTF IS GOING ON HERE? How do you expect to be taken seriously in this business when you can't do what your ONE job is? You're not JUST playing some tunes, you've gotta make it work. How many different EDM genres are out there that you can play to make things work? Why do you bash other DJ's and producers who are succeeding yet you're nowhere?

Debate.

I guess more of a vent. Are Top 40 DJ's and wedding/event DJ's this way? I started out as a top 40 DJ in clubs, but strictly do EDM now so it's all I deal with when booking for our events. Good lord these people are the biggest divas who expect to be praised for their inexperience because they have one good track. Whatever happened to working your way up to the top and supporting other people along the way?
    Find me everywhere @youseenofilter

I luckily haven’t had to deal with many EDM Djs, but yes, what you describe is exactly what I have experienced.

These guys sound like a-holes. A lot of the time, people like that don't last long in the industry. They'll just be chewed up and spat back out again. It sounds like you got into it for the right reasons, and know what you're doing. I wouldn't worry about those idiots!

Banned
    I agree with Fin on this one. I think some of them accidentally made an ok tune and get tossed into the industry without putting in hard work for years and learning how to respect the music industry. I think dues need to be paid for a while to gain proper respect and earn a place in this business. Respect will take care of you in the long run for sure.

Part of it has to do with younger dj's thinking that self-confidence is the road to success that they way over do it. Twitter, social media, and likes I'm sure have a lot to do with that as well.

Wedding Dj's is a completely different business. You're into pleasing the customer, to taking requests, customer service, and not caring about beat matching so much. I've alays heard from the companies who employ them that the won't hire club dj's because they'd spend too much time retraining them.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomJockey View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem that "strictly" EDM DJ's are the most cocky, big headed, full of themselves type of DJ's out there? I've met so very few EDM DJ's who aren't completely full of themselves yet they don't even know how to play an opening set, can't play for 4 people, demand the big crowd and the prime slots, can't adapt to the crowd when their premade set isn't vibing. Like WTF IS GOING ON HERE? How do you expect to be taken seriously in this business when you can't do what your ONE job is? You're not JUST playing some tunes, you've gotta make it work. How many different EDM genres are out there that you can play to make things work? Why do you bash other DJ's and producers who are succeeding yet you're nowhere?

Debate.

I guess more of a vent. Are Top 40 DJ's and wedding/event DJ's this way? I started out as a top 40 DJ in clubs, but strictly do EDM now so it's all I deal with when booking for our events. Good lord these people are the biggest divas who expect to be praised for their inexperience because they have one good track. Whatever happened to working your way up to the top and supporting other people along the way?
    So how does this relate to Ingrosso’s contentious claim about amateurism in underground dance? The problem is that this isn’t an isolated example; we’re all caught up in a cycle in which amateurism on a number of levels perpetuates certain behaviour, with detrimental results to the entire industry.
    Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
    Last edited by aresko; 06-05-2019 at 03:11 PM.

The challenge is when you are younger you think you have the best taste in music ever.
    The older you get the more you realise how little in common with the average person you share musically, and how little you can influence that difference.

They'll simply be bitten up and spat pull out once more. It seems like you got into it for the correct reasons, and recognize what you're doing auto clicker. I wouldn't stress over those boneheads!
    Last edited by Nouriavan; 02-01-2020 at 04:49 AM.

You may be right, and I find it especially funny when they don't even produce their own tracks.
    www.soundcloud.com/icewind

www.mixcloud.com/icewind

Quote Originally Posted by D'jramatist View Post
    The challenge is when you are younger you think you have the best taste in music ever.
    The older you get the more you realise how little in common with the average person you share musically, and how little you can influence that difference.
    True AF!
    ■ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidphoenixminimal
    ■ Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/davidphoenixminimal