Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on upgrading/replacing Mackie SRM 450v1

Advice on upgrading/replacing Mackie SRM 450v1

Im a former DJ. I am coming out of DJ retirement per se to do two weddings for friends coming up. I still have an old set of SRM 450v1 that I used for about 10 years and they were perfect for anything I did. I’m looking to buy something new or used that might be comparable to them.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by ChuckDiesel; 08-14-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Subscribe

What is your budget? There are loads of great powered speakers out there now but of course the really good ones aren't cheap. With how bass heavy music is these days its dubious at best to attempt to Dj without at least 1 sub IMO, yes there are guys who do it but they really are missing out, and having a sub doesn't have to mean moving some giant 18" box either, there are some pretty potent 12" and 15" subs available now that pair up nicely with 10" or even 8" tops making for a very compact system, it just depends how big a space you want to fill. There are also these column array systems too, they have some advantages over a traditional PA speaker such as wider coverage but in general they don't have as much output as the high powered(more expensive) PA boxes.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel View Post
    Advice on upgrading/replacing Mackie SRM 450v1
    Those are what I've used for over 10 years - with the Mackie SWA-1501 sub. I've toyed around with replacing them, but they work so well I probably won't. I hope I don't have to any time soon (knocks on wood).

If I were to replace them, I'd look to the upper EV models or the QSC models - both being active. For the sub, I'd likely build my own as I keep hearing that the BFM Tubas are incredible.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

There are lots of great speakers out there. It all depends on your budget. I think your best choice would be either the EV ZLX or the Yamaha DBR speakers. They have 12" versions (goes great with subs) and 15" versions. If you want something high-end you can consider the QSC K12, which puts out a good amount of bass for a 12" speaker. I usually use a sub with mine but I have a DJ friend who uses it without a sub.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

Thanks for your replies. I’m trying to stay under $1,000 for the setup including the sub
    Last edited by ChuckDiesel; 08-15-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks for your replies. I’m trying to stay under $1,000 for the setup including the sub
    If your Mackie tops still work I would keep using them and just get a good sub for now to use with them. You can't get a decent setup with two tops and a sub for $1000, you'll just be going way down in quality from what you had.

Just a good sub costs $1000 these days, eg. EV EKX18SP. EKX15SP is 900, JBL EON618S is 800.. once you go down from there you get into real budget sub territory not that you can't get something that will work decently, eg. Alto TS218s would prob enhance your existing mackies nicely, and it has the high pass output option that ideally you should have with the mackies... For 600 bucks. So you see a whole setup better than what you have is not possible at $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    If your Mackie tops still work I would keep using them and just get a good sub for now to use with them.
    This.

If there's nothing wrong with the current speakers, why replace them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Drop the bass, and the bacon.

I suppose I’ll just keep the 450s. Someone just offered me a Mackie thump for 100 bucks. I havent really read any good reviews on them though.

I’m not familiar with high pass output or what the benefit of having or not having it on a sub would be.

Thank you all for the feedback once again

The high pass output means that the speaker has a crossover which sends high frequencies to your tops while your sub handles just the bass frequencies. It is recommended to let your tops handle highs while you have a sub handle bass.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

You might find a good deal on used gear. Guitar Center's website let's you search for used speakers. If your local Guitar Center (or some other music store like Sam Ash) has used gear it might be worthwhile to go and have a listen and see if you like what they have.

If I wanted 2 tops and a sub with that budget I would get 2 Behringer B112D 12" tops ($249 each) and a Behringer VQ188D sub ($399). Total cost is $900 - well within your budget.
    Last edited by djeternal; 08-15-2018 at 09:13 PM.