Thread: We are having an event out in the desert with... but what about lights?

We are having an event out in the desert with... but what about lights?

I'm looking for ideas for ligths for an event I have in the desert. We can probably hang things up somehow with some makeshift bamboo frames, but I'm also looking for stuff to put on the ground.

Any help much appreciated!

How big is the event?

I was thinking a hydraulic crane such as one found in some lorries (or a standalone trailer).. or use a truck as a stage and clamp truss in the roof, then disguise it somehow.

Those truck stages are like ovens to play from though.. did an hour gig or so but that was on a beach under trees, when the sun started shining I thought I'd die from the heat.

I can't even think what it'd be like on a desert.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    How big is the event?

I was thinking a hydraulic crane such as one found in some lorries (or a standalone trailer).. or use a truck as a stage and clamp truss in the roof, then disguise it somehow.

Those truck stages are like ovens to play from though.. did an hour gig or so but that was on a beach under trees, when the sun started shining I thought I'd die from the heat.

I can't even think what it'd be like on a desert.
    We are hoping for around 1000 people. Music starts playing in the evening though, when the weather has cooled down. People will camp out there. The stage will be a traditional mongolian yurt!

We are looking of different kind of light things, anything cool really, no just what can be hanged on a t-bar although I'm also looking for advice on that.

First you need to determine what your total available power. The subtract the Audio System power and you'll be left with what's available for your Lighting rig.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
    We can probably hang things up somehow with some makeshift bamboo frames
    We are hoping for around 1000 people.
    You really shouldn't be putting on events for 1000 people. 100 people tops and it could be excused! 1000 people, you need to seriously up your game and ways of thinking.

^^ "makeshift bamboo frames" and "1000 people" sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I wouldn't say "shouldn't"; you can do it with planning and someone who knows what they're doing with rig scaffolding. I'd say any "makeshift" stuff has to be out of the way of customers...and artists, tbh; they trip and knock over everything.

ps, had a quick look at Mongolian stuff, orange yellow and blue (with a bit of purple); cloth lanterns, wood lattice-work. Also seen some big painted ceremonial puppet/mask things that would be cool.
    Last edited by dlove; 01-30-2019 at 04:18 AM.

We ended up not having much in terms of lightning etc. but here you can kind of see what the stage ended up looking like. We had about 2000 people at the festival... not all were party goers though, as many came more so for the camping experience and day trips out in the mountains and dessert. Next near we definitely need more "shadow" around the stage area in form of canopies or similar. It get's very hot in the desert (duh!) so it wasn't easy to get people to the stage area during the day. We had less than 3 weeks this year to promote, plan, and built the dj stage and that just wasn't much time. This area is in the Qinghai desert close to the Tibetan border. Just getting everything up there is a challenge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfG5oeX32KU

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post
    Anyone see the "Fyre" documentary?
    Yeah... Both of them, good watch.

[content removed by staff]
    I am assuming this post was meant for me.

I was just asking if anyone watched documentary on a festival planning situation. You were planning a festival, how is that not relatable?

I have had an experience where I was booked to play an outdoor festival/party and they did not have enough power and I was there for no reason.

I did not belittle or knock your festival. I am sure it is great. No offense intended.

Strong reaction though...