Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting late in DJing

Starting late in DJing

Just curious. Anyone starting late in DJing at age 28 or early thirties? I tried after high school but academia and college took over my life. Now I'm out of college and pretty serious in becoming a professional DJ. Any advice on "critical first steps" in this path?

Thank you.

-Particulars abstract

Welcome to DJF, particulars. Check out the beginner's guide in my signature or the sticky in the beginner's section.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

It depends on what kind of DJ you want to be? A mobile DJ? Mainstream club DJ? Something more underground?

Personally I started young, I learned to DJ when I was 13.. I wanted to work in radio.. real radio, when that was still something important. But I ended up doing other things. In my early 30's I got into the electronic music scene and started DJing there and producing some events. I don't do it for a living, it's for fun. If I had pushed harder I could have probably played gigs in different parts of the world and made a small name for myself .. but I kept it ******. I don't play as much as I used to but I still enjoy it. I have other work that pays the rent tho.

I started DJing when I was 20. I am now 39 and only play live on radio shows - I am too old to be trotting around the club scene here - I am in a new state and city and there is a scene here I do not want to get involved in.

I played out at clubs, lounges, bars, parties and such when I was still in my 20s. I cannot imagine working myself into a new scene now as an old man. I never made much money from my gigs - certainly not enough for that to be my main occupation. I cannot stay out until 3 in the morning hanging out with players in the scene here and getting gigs after tons of time and energy put into playing at a club.

I also do some mobile DJing here and there - so I get my fix of playing for a live crowd there. Not really any age restrictions in that aspect.

The only thing about starting at an older age is people expect more from you than a teenager or someone in their early twenties.

So make sure you're well prepared for whichever type of DJing you choose.
    And make sure you get in a lot of practice at a minimum.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

You might find this video helpful. Let me know if you have any questions after you watch it.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

I started at 37. I have a job/career in graphic design, so I recognize DJing is a hobby that can make a little money on the side. I just enjoy playing the local clubs and regional events.

nice! i am inspired

Thanks KLH!

I didn't start playing out until I was 30, (I'm 46 now and still limping on) but I was heavily involved in the scene for well over a decade before that: ie I knew a lot of people and they knew me. Could be seen as an advantage, but my 1st ever gig (warming up for DJ Yoda) one or two other DJ's came up to me and said 'how the fK did you get this gig, you're not a DJ'! I said, well, I am, cos I've just done it Incidentally, I got the gig because my friend was friends with Yoda and she wanted to promote a one-off night up here with him as the headline, and she knew my record collection. I started getting booked from there.
    I can tell you that my 30's were brilliant in terms of playing records out - went to live in Barcelona, got a bi-monthly warm-up residency at Apolo, played Lasal and a couple of other clubnights in BCN, with a residency my home town helping build the Mungo's nights here with them, got festivals, played Notting Hill Carnival...absolutely amazing journey, so don't worry about age; it's not a problem.
    Last edited by dlove; 08-24-2018 at 05:24 AM.