Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having issues with new monitors

Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    Thanks a ton man. That fixed it. There wasn't a 2-channel mode option, but when I turned the sound option to flat the delay disappeared. The speakers now sit on top of the Mackies and function as mid-high to high. Pretty relieved. Honestly, I was gettin bummed out yesterday after a few shitty mixes. Just mixed about 6 tracks and feelin' good
    you're welcome. it's a commonly known fact that the guy who made home theatre amps specifically added a funky dolby delay just to mess with DJs...
    Last edited by pete; 07-28-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

If the home theatre speakers on top of the monitors worked better (once you fixed the settings on the receiver) then maybe you need to raise the monitors up more?

Try increasing the position of the "High Freq Filter" switch on the back of the MR8's.. like I said, or decreasing the Low Freq Filter switch.

Or, maybe you just like your hifi speakers better than the monitors!
    The MR8's.. I never heard them, for all I know they are great.. but they are relatively budget monitors. You might have expensive taste!

Personally I've been mixing in my headphones for over 10 years.. that's one way to always have monitors you know and trust wherever you play, right?
    My speakers at home are good but I still mix mostly in headphones, it's a habit now.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Another 1 to consider... Did you get a new mixer...

Many mixers have different curves to the volume fader. This is why some DJ's advise you to practice on many different ones. Getting used to 1 can seriously throw your balancing out when not using it. Or, always stick with the brand you'l always use... this does have the draw back of knowing the fader rather than responding to the sound.

Laidback luke advised in a video to constantly move your speakers around, change your home set up, avoid the comfort zone. Practice in less than idea condition. Going live for the first time is nerve racking enough as it is with out having to deal with all the other differences you'll (not) notice (as in, you'll not be able to mix and have no idea why)!!!
    It's the first mixer I've owned in many years: DJM-450. I'm sorta learning all over again, so it's frustrating to not be able to hear the mix come up.

I learned on a Gemini back in the day, but played live on PPD's almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    There are switches on the back of MR8 for high and low boost/cut eg +2 for more, 0, or -2 for less. Try switching the highs up a or the lows down a notch or both.
    I've been messin around with those. Helps mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Personally I've been mixing in my headphones for over 10 years.. that's one way to always have monitors you know and trust wherever you play, right?
    My speakers at home are good but I still mix mostly in headphones, it's a habit now.
    I do that too so that my practising won't disturb the neighbours but it hardly ever translates well to monitors, not to mention bigger systems.

I ended up getting a killer deal on a pair of MR5's. They have RCA input so it's all good. Ditched the home theater speakers. System sounds awesome now with both the MR8's and MR5's working together.