Thread: Transitioning between tracks with different keys

Transitioning between tracks with different keys

Hi all. Noob to the forum, noob to the craft.

I'm not a professional DJ by any definition. I just really like electronica (down tempo and ambient) and mix for myself as a hobby. I don't have any professional programs or hardware, and will be using Audacity until I hit some big and obvious wall in my skills.

I've run into a problem where I've finally assembled all the right tracks with the right tempo and the right style into a coherent mix, but I've decided that two tracks, which are extraordinary and I really want to keep in the mix, don't have compatible keys: the first is in A and the second is B flat minor. If I'm reading the Camelot chart correctly, then ideally the second track should be F-sharp minor, but in order to turn it into that I'd have to drop the pitch by a staggering 3100Hz, completely changing the song to the point of uselessness. Is there any technique or music theory I'm not thinking of that could make the transition more tolerable?

Thanks in advance.

If anybody is curious, I'm trying to transition Carbon Based Lifeform's "Central Plains" into the Aes Danae remix of "Listen to the Grass Grow."

As these tracks are heavily ambient I can't see much issue with getting the BPMs matched then fading the end of one the CBL track into the start of the Aes Danae remix.
    I just wouldn't go for a long mix, it would sound wierd and probably not work, so only around 30 seconds should be ok.
    Apart from that, the tracks are so ambient most listeners wouldn't notice.

Interesting music though!
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    As these tracks are heavily ambient I can't see much issue with getting the BPMs matched then fading the end of one the CBL track into the start of the Aes Danae remix.
    I just wouldn't go for a long mix, it would sound wierd and probably not work, so only around 30 seconds should be ok.
    Apart from that, the tracks are so ambient most listeners wouldn't notice.

Interesting music though!
    Timing does seem to be a huge part of it. I dropped the pitch by 700Hz, and completely regardless of the Camelot chart that change worked perfectly. Finally I dropped the transition time to 30 seconds and that was perfect.

This whole key/pitch thing is breaking my brain a little, since there doesn't seem to be any theory that explains why one pitch shift works and another doesn't.

Anyway, now my obsession has moved on to the selection choice of the third track. I'll link to the final mix when it's completed.

Thanks for the help!

When you ride a bike you simply ride it. You have no idea the maths and physics behind the adjustments your brain is firing out automatically to maintain balance. Practice and go with what you feel works. That been written! there's no harm in looking into the theory and science if that turns you on. But, initially it's not important.

(Edit: it's is important but there's 2 types of 'knowing'. You can know with out any idea how you know. Just like riding a bike)

Practice is KEY!!!
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 07-23-2018 at 08:32 AM.