Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DBR12 Sound Quality Issue, HELP NEEDED!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    The source doesn't change the frequency response of the speaker. Most PA speakers don't have frequency response anywhere near what stereo or HT speakers do. High quality EQ can compensate for that. All the OP has in his mixer is a basic 3 band EQ, which clearly isn't adequate.
    I clearly do not have the level of expertise you do in sound, but it does seem that garbage in/garbage out does apply here too so I was just asking, you never really know what people do until you ask, assuming isn't good on the internet I've found.

Beyond that wouldn't the height have a significant impact on the overall sound? I thought PA speakers should generally have the high driver above ear level? Not a hard and fast rule I'm sure, but a general suggestion?

It's more of a hard and fast rule, though all speakers should be placed with the tweeters at or above head height.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
    garbage in/garbage out does apply here too
    That always applies so it's a good suggestion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
    I thought PA speakers should generally have the high driver above ear level?
    Hi frequencies are very directional so the general idea with PA systems is to get the mid/high speakers up above ear level so everything isn't blocked by someone standing right in front of the speakers. In a home environment that is seldom a problem.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Hi frequencies are very directional so the general idea with PA systems is to get the mid/high speakers up above ear level so everything isn't blocked by someone standing right in front of the speakers. In a home environment that is seldom a problem.
    Put a wall of junk in front of the HF to simulate audience and listen further away?

Home speakers are a lot more forgiving so far as where you are positioned because the smaller woofer they use is less directional and the dome tweeters they usually use is also less directional. In a typical live situation this would cause extreme problems but in a living room with furniture and carpeting and whatnot it is not so much of a problem and more of an advantage.

That is why I love my old PA speakers (EAW LA325 & EAW FR153z) so much, because they are a sort of half-way designed like a home speaker and half-way like a PA speaker.. and they sound like it.. like a hifi speaker but loud. But for some jobs they were not loud enough or directional enough. I've now switched to using EV QRX212's and they solve both those problems and sound very pro. Very clean at high volumes. Aren't as nice to listen to tho

But John, what is it about the concert experience that you were trying to recreate in your house and that you are not getting? Bottom line is that not every speaker is great at everything, at this price you def can't have everything. You may want to switch up what you have.. for example you might find that a 10 or 8 inch model with the sub will be closer to what you were expecting. Then, there is the matter of subwoofer positioning, which can be really hard in a small room. You may actually find you are better off with a smaller sub.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 07-19-2018 at 12:56 AM.

This thread is hilarious, I almost feel as if a couple of you were offended by my not liking the sound of my setup. While in my last thread, many people recommended Yamaha, EV, or QSC, now it is simply "Garbage in, Garbage out". First of all, I wouldn't consider Yamaha as "Garbage". The mixer did the trick, it sounds a million times better, I wasn't expecting high Hifi quality out of a loudspeaker. If I knew more about audio, I probably could have achieved the same results by speaker placement, etc., but this is not what I do for a living, nor do I have any interest in becomming a DJ, or making any money with these speakers. In my case, the fix was a simple and very inexpecsive EQ to tune the speakers to the conditions of the enviroment. Mission accomplished!

BTW: The DXS18 is a chest-thumping bass monster, tight base!

Thanks for the input,
    John Hunt
    KE6QMR

Quote Originally Posted by John Hunt View Post
    First of all, I wouldn't consider Yamaha as "Garbage". The mixer did the trick, it sounds a million times better, I wasn't expecting high Hifi quality out of a loudspeaker.
    Yamaha PA speakers aren't considered anything out of the ordinary tbh. Their line of mixers and instruments & studio gear (like the NS10) on the other hand are, but do keep in mind that you're dealing with a company that makes a wide range of products, like boat motors.

#1 Thought you had a mixer already?

#2 Nobody told you that Yamaha is garbage. What we told you is that PA speakers and Hifi speakers are two different things, and you cannot have the same expectations at the same price. Which is true. The DBR is actually a very good PA speaker for the price which is why it is suggested often, but it is still pretty low priced for a PA speaker. This was explained to you already.

#3 Even if you got crap advice, which you didn't.. there's no justification for coming across with a dick attitude toward the people who tried to help you.

Have a good day, enjoy your sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    #1 Thought you had a mixer already?

#2 Nobody told you that Yamaha is garbage. What we told you is that PA speakers and Hifi speakers are two different things, and you cannot have the same expectations at the same price. Which is true. The DBR is actually a very good PA speaker for the price which is why it is suggested often, but it is still pretty low priced for a PA speaker. This was explained to you already.

#3 Even if you got crap advice, which you didn't.. there's no justification for coming across with a dick attitude toward the people who tried to help you.

Have a good day, enjoy your sound system.

Light-o-matic,

1. I do have a mixer, I have the Yamaha MG-12XU, it is connected to my PC via USB. Unfortunately, it only has two pots, one for high, and one for low, so it doesn't give me much control for tuning. That is why adding an EQ to the mix is just what I needed.

2. Please accept my apology if I have offeneded anybody with my last statement. It was not my intention, I work graveyard and was exhausted this morning, and to make things worse, I totally misunderstood the statement "Garbage in, Garbage out" which made perfect sense after I got some much needed sleep. Doesn't matter how good, or bad, your sound system is, it is only as good as the quality of audio you feed it, Garbage in, Garbage out, I get it!

3. I do not feel like I got crap advice, it was very helpful, and again please accept my apology for anything offensive in my previous reply.

I'm happy with the system with the addition of the EQ, and I appreciate and do value all of your input.

Thanks again,
    -John
    KE6QMR

John,

Can I ask which EQ did you add in to the mix. I am planning to get a pair of Yamaha DXR15 for home use myself and depend on how they turn out, I may need an EQ as well. Thanks