Thread: What dj software can i run on low spec laptop

Hybrid View

What dj software can i run on low spec laptop

Hi I am a complete beginner so sorry if any of this sounds stupid.

I recently bought myself the new DDJ-400 by pioneer. All was good until I started realising my shit laptop wasn't going be near good enough to use rekordbox, so I instantly went out and found a cheap second hand laptop which was better than what I had.
    Little did I no that rekordbox still won't run on a intel celeron processor, only the ones beginning with 'i'.. So the question is will rekordbox run at all on this laptop? If not is there any software that I could use that requires lower specs? This is just until I get paid and get a decent laptop..

Thanks

which celeron?

a modern celeron is the same or better than a 7 year old i3...a celeron older than a couple of years is potato.
    and a lot of the original DJ software came out before even dual core processors were popular, so audio manipulation is not too processor intensive really.

but it all depends.
    the only way of really checking is to run the software.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    a modern celeron is the same or better than a 7 year old i3...a celeron older than a couple of years is potato.
    Haha

EDIT : I think the Celerons are all single-core processors.. the i-line is called intel Core/Core 2 Duo or Quad. Most audio software is 32-bit though and to run a quad-core system you need a 64-bit OS which can run 32-bit software but not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Haha

EDIT : I think the Celerons are all single-core processors.. the i-line is called intel Core/Core 2 Duo or Quad.
    Celeron are generally low binned processors that are good enough to do stuff...slowly...only in the year they are produced in.
    So this year its Gemini Lake. Which is called Pentium Silver.
    Grrr gets confusing.
    But they can be multicore, multithread. Just watch out on the soldered RAM...

Its a shame they didn't continue with the Atom line, the last few batches were pretty tidy 4 core jobbies.
    Last edited by pete; 07-11-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    finally a mix by me

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Celeron are generally low binned processors that are good enough too do stuff...slowly...only in the year they are produced in.
    I think a Celeron is ok for text editing and web browsing.

Its a shame they didn't continue with the Atom line, the last few batches were pretty tidy 4 core jobbies.
    Aren't the Atom processors mobile? Such as the one used in iPhones and iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    I think a Celeron is ok for text editing and web browsing.

Aren't the Atom processors mobile? Such as the one used in iPhones and iPads.
    atom are low powered, so some versions are used on mobile devices as well, such as tablets (and phones when intel made phone processors).

Apple make their own chips based on british designs for tablets/phones.
    finally a mix by me

You might be able to run older versions of current DJ apps... maybe. The experience will be frustrating though. Forget running CPU intensive features like flexible beat-grids or keylock though.

Better yet, save the hassle and get a 2-3 years old laptop with 2 cores or more. You'll find (as I did) that the modern features are worth the hassle... especially if you're starting out.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Thanks for all your comments. I thought I'd risk it and run rekordbox on the celeron laptop and to be honest everything seems OK so far. Only thing is the wave seems a little slow to show but not that bad for someone like me just messing around. Probably not the best place to ask but any recommendations on a laptop that meets the requirements of rekordbox? Preferably not too expensive.

Well, the minimum system requirements are this - https://rekordbox.com/en/support/system.php

What do you mean by not too expensive? Also, why not check Best Buy, Amazon, or wherever you feel comfortable buying a laptop?
    Last edited by djeternal; 07-12-2018 at 07:00 AM.