Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classify 90's techno tune

Classify 90's techno tune

Can someone classify this track for me? Personally I think its techno, but some guy i was arguing online with said its progressive vocal house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XG2F9BEwTA

euro pop techno
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Absolutely euro pop techno - although JX was signed to Hooj Choons under other aliases so progressive was in his repertoire. The JX sound was more uplifting and destined for the charts and not really a "house" feel.

interesting how this is euro pop techno never heard of that before what is that? and what is the difference between that and 90s trance?

Euro pop is usually cheesy, features basic chords mostly in major because it sounds more happy, and almost always comes with lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Euro pop is usually cheesy, features basic chords mostly in major because it sounds more happy
    Although this is not in mainly major chords.

I don't know why people spend time wondering what genre a track is. Reality is that this record was made at a time where the pigeon holes and sub genres we refer to didn't all exist.

This record would not have been played in a techno club night ever. It would have been played in a house club though. There was a period in mid to late 90s where DJs were playing energetic trancey stuff (eg tony de bit) and they played in house clubs
    Whilst it seems pretty cheesy now, it was a bit less so at the time.

Re that YouTube link.. baby d let me be your fantasy "Europop"??!

We just called it dance music... It was too cheesy for the house heads and the techno heads. I later learned of the term eurodance but You Belong To Me wasn't really cheesy enough to be classed as that. Trance hadn't really blown up as it's own genre yet. Toni De Vit played it as i'm sure he had his own version, what later became the hard dance scene. Burning Up was a similar bridge in the gaps. These were the tracks that what became staples in the NE rave scene before the BPM's went up towards 170.

I will add... It's one of my most favourites style of music... HiNrg, dance music. It holds a very special place in my heart.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 11-03-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    We just called it dance music... It was too cheesy for the house heads and the techno heads. I later learned of the term eurodance but You Belong To Me wasn't really cheesy enough to be classed as that. Trance hadn't really blown up as it's own genre yet. Toni De Vit played it as i'm sure he had his own version, what later became the hard dance scene. Burning Up was a similar bridge in the gaps. These were the tracks that what became staples in the NE rave scene before the BPM's went up towards 170.
    Agree with virtually everything you say; this is the kind of music that went on to spawn Hard House etc (not a fan tbh.. although went to Sundissential and Gatecrasher a few times).

This track I am sure was played at places like Renaissance and would have featured in prog house sets of the time. It definitely was played in the house clubs I went to around 1995.

The scene at that time had moved on from early acid house and warehouse parties, Radio one and various magazines had started to popularise the culture, and also people were looking for the kind of energy there was at raves, but in a more accessible format and type of music. There was also a bit of a merging with the gay club scene. Most of the time you'd have a "warm up" DJ playing some deep house, maybe a second room with some "serious" DJs playing a specific style or something. But the main event was a big name DJ in the main room from 12-2am playing everything from a bit of breakbeat, more techno type tracks, trance, and various different types of house, including cheesey house. (Worth remembering that it probably didn't sound quite as cheesey at the time, and that 99% of the people listening would have taken a couple of Es and a gram or two of speed).

For an example, hear this set Essential Mix from Tall Paul, who was a reasonably big name on the UK house scene at the time. This would have been typical of a peak time set in a big UK house club in 1995. (this track is in there).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-g7AN7xIRo
    Last edited by Dave Beep; 11-03-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beep View Post
    Yeah that kind of set is exactly what i'm on about. I think by 98 things were getting to segregated and people had specific niches, would turn their noses up towards a certain aspect of a track that might make it too much 1 thing than the other. Before 98 dj's would create more of a journey through different textures/emotions through an hour set. A funky song, moody song, bouncy song, tribal song, dark song, happy song, driving song. Then it became about textures, the actual sounds that made a song... people would only like things that fit their chosen preference. The search, the discovery had died. Dj's got tied to that texture.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 11-03-2019 at 07:27 PM.