Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to DJ-ing. Using Virtual DJ and laptop have a long set coming up to 100 people.

New to DJ-ing. Using Virtual DJ and laptop have a long set coming up to 100 people.

Hi and firstly this is my first post as I joined today.

Basically I messed around with Virtual DJ in the past but not to any degree of seriousness. I got asked a few weeks back to DJ at a party for a family member that will be in a field for around 100 people. I got asked as I have always had a varied collection of music and did a party for them before years ago which was just really fading songs in and out and playing requests to keep a few people happy.

Anyway, I have been practising relentlessly on Virtual DJ for the last two and a half weeks and have been doing some beat matching and transitions to help me make my required set to be more varied and smooth.

At present I am pretty much matching beat intros to the end beats of songs and fading or switching quickly into the next. I am hoping this will be enough with not mixing songs in when tempo changes are too far off or different genres as I will be playing different ones.

Should I also not worry about trying to mix every song and just drop the next one in ASAP when the other fades?

I am in all honest getting very nervous and don't want to mess up the party and also make myself look like an idiot

I will going through the PA and will be mixing in my headphones (not sure what best setting is for this but have both decks in headphones at present). I am not sure how far I will be from the speakers as of yet.

I am not using a controller, just a mouse but will get a controller in the near future as I am really enjoying what I have learned so far.

On the day, I will also be using a splitter cable for the headphones and then the other side to go into PA.

I have picked my first 5 songs that I now will go smoothly together to get me on my way but with a 5 hours plus set with a break of an hour or so in between as there will be a band playing I am worried about mixing that amount of songs. Practising in my headphones at home seems to not have prepared me for this or maybe I am worrying too much? I cannot play music loudly at home hence having to practice on headphones.

Any tips that may help with any of the above would be hugely appreciated. I have watched loads of videos on you tube related to beginner DJ stuff and read loads of articles but the nerves are all to present.

Sorry for the long post

that will be in a field
    Welcome aboard. You're going to need a bigger PA...

I am not sure how far I will be from the speakers as of yet.
    Use the booth output assuming you have a mixer and plug in another pair of speakers. Even tiny computer speakers would to the job for monitoring purposes.

On the day, I will also be using a splitter cable for the headphones and then the other side to go into PA.

That could be a problem, you don't use a headphones output to feed a PA system.

Last but not least, weather conditions, keep an eye on that because it's potentially a cancellation issue. Make sure you have a tent at least, because dealing with wind, rain and mud isn't fun...
    Last edited by Manu; 06-20-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Welcome aboard. You're going to need a bigger PA...

Use the booth output and plug in another pair of speakers. Even tiny computer speakers would to the job for monitoring purposes.

That could be a problem, you don't use a headphones output to feed a PA system.

Last but not least, weather conditions, keep an eye on that because it's potentially a cancellation issue. Make sure you have a tent at least, because dealing with wind, rain and mud isn't fun...

Thanks mate.

Sorry I think I meant from splitter cable into speakers. It's a small field so not like Glastonbury haha.

I will have a tent as that has been confirmed.

What output can I use for the small speakers as that bit confused me. I will have the laptop on a stand and from what I remember will be headphones from splitter cable and then a cable from other part of splitter that will go to speakers/PA as PA shop confirmed they will have what we need. As for the small speakers where I am set up, what input would I use as coming out of headphone socket of laptop with splitter cable that has two inputs.

Hope the above makes sense.

If you're gigging with a band, check if these guys turn up with a mixer so you can plug into that and use the extra outputs from the back.

Technically speaking, it's just a big no-no to split a headphone signal then send that to a PA. You're basically messing up with the impedance but also signal strength. Then obviously because of that you're stuck for outputs.

If you're gigging with a band, check if these guys turn up with a mixer so you can plug into that and use the extra outputs from the back.

Technically speaking, it's just a big no-no to split a headphone signal then send that to a PA. You're basically messing up with the impedance but also signal strength. Then obviously because of that you're stuck for outputs.
    Thanks mate. On looking into the PA company it says they say it's powered speakers they supply, will that be OK as I am starting to worry even more after what you said? haha

Also, would it be better as well to buy something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Ext...=usb+soundcard

That's not going to give you any more outputs. Also, cheap sound usb sound card things are mostly worse than the onboard card...

If I was you, I'd get in touch with the band member to see if they're bringing a mixer you can plug into.

That's not going to give you any more outputs. Also, cheap sound usb sound card things are mostly worse than the onboard card...

If I was you, I'd get in touch with the band member to see if they're bringing a mixer you can plug into.
    Thanks again mate. The band are using the PA provided by the PA and speaker company that they are being hired from.

being a band, they need a mixer to plug all instruments and microphones etc. I know I'm assuming all this, but this is how a band runs a gig. Get in touch...

being a band, they need a mixer to plug all instruments and microphones etc. I know I'm assuming all this, but this is how a band runs a gig. Get in touch...
    Thanks mate. Could I buy the mixer myself? What would be a good cheap example and what cables would I need. Thanks again mate.