Thread: Sennheiser HD25's - interesting....anyone use these?

Sennheiser HD25's - interesting....anyone use these?

Just caught an interesting video on the Sennheiser HD25 headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7Nhq5HQFA

anyone use these?

I have HD25BA and HD25.
    The BA version are the British Airways version, which I got free from someone who worked with Concorde.
    I don't know if they were created before the HD25, which were used in many different industries.
    The HD25 are better quality, the HD25BA are closer to the HD25SP - the budget version (strange because they cost many times more than the HD25 - you needed a Concorde ticket to get them).

The HD25 is regarded by many as the best headphone for DJing. IMHO I agree with this. My headphones are over 20 years old and are as indestructible as the day they were made. They are far from the sound quality of a listening headphone, but as a tool for the working DJ they fit the job very well.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I have HD25BA and HD25.
    The BA version are the British Airways version, which I got free from someone who worked with Concorde.
    I don't know if they were created before the HD25, which were used in many different industries.
    The HD25 are better quality, the HD25BA are closer to the HD25SP - the budget version (strange because they cost many times more than the HD25 - you needed a Concorde ticket to get them).
    Wow so the story IS true?!?!!!! That's amazing...

As said already there are two different spec models.. The HD25SP (now called HD25 Light) is the lower spec model, the plain HD25 (previously known as HD25-1 II) is the higher spec model. The Concorde model is closer to if not identical to (other than color) the SP model.

Not that the SP are bad headphones, they aren't. But if I remember correctly the HD25-1 II (now known as just HD25) are capable of higher output level and have a few other extended specs. My friend DJ'd with the SP's for years and still has them so far as I know.. but given that the HD25 is just $150 in the basic kit at this time it is, for most people, worth paying the extra for the better model. If for no other reason than the convenience of having the cord come off only one side vs cords on two sides for the SP. But if you are on a budget, the HD25SP (now called the HD25 Light) is still a good headphone.

If you are made of money, the Sennheiser HD8 is HD25 guts in a larger, metal earcup. I've tried them, they are good. They do have more bass than the regular HD25. But is that necessarily a good thing? For me, the sound of the regular HD25 is well balances and honest, it sounds like a good monitor, which is what I want when I'm djing. The HD8 is more "fun" because of the extra bass but also larger and heavier, more like every other pro DJ headphone. Personally I decided to stick with the HD25.. their sound, size and weight is just right for me.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 06-19-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    As said already there are two different spec models.. The HD25SP (now called HD25 Light) is the lower spec model, the plain HD25 (previously known as HD25-1 II) is the higher spec model. The Concorde model is closer to if not identical to (other than color) the SP model.

Not that the SP are bad headphones, they aren't. But if I remember correctly the HD25-1 II (now known as just HD25) are capable of higher output level and have a few other extended specs. My friend DJ'd with the SP's for years and still has them so far as I know.. but given that the HD25 is just $150 in the basic kit at this time it is, for most people, worth paying the extra for the better model. If for no other reason than the convenience of having the cord come off only one side vs cords on two sides for the SP. But if you are on a budget, the HD25SP (now called the HD25 Light) is still a good headphone.

If you are made of money, the Sennheiser HD8 is HD25 guts in a larger, metal earcup. I've tried them, they are good. They do have more bass than the regular HD25. But is that necessarily a good thing? For me, the sound of the regular HD25 is well balances and honest, it sounds like a good monitor, which is what I want when I'm djing. The HD8 is more "fun" because of the extra bass but also larger and heavier, more like every other pro DJ headphone. Personally I decided to stick with the HD25.. their sound, size and weight is just right for me.
    I literally just got the HD25's, they're amazing!

Oh but they're so light they feel rather fragile. also I dont know if its just because of the size of my ears.. but they feel rather small lol, gotta position them really well on my ears in order to get perfect positioning

Believe me they are not fragile. The only thing I would look out for is that, since the earcups slide up and down on the headband.. there is the danger that if you pull the headphone off too hard you can slide the earcup and put strain on the wire. That said, I've used HD25's for over 15 years and NEVER broken a pair. I have had them stolen twice.. cause my neighborhood used to be pretty bad.. but broken.. no, never. One time my cat chewed up the cord so I had to buy a new cord.. I still have the old cord, it's chewed up but still works so I kept it! I've replaced the earpads a few times.. you can buy replacements.... but yea they are sturdy, if you are at least a little careful you will have no problems for a long long time.

As far as their size, yea, basically there are two types of headphones.. circumaural (around the ear) and supra-aural (on the ear). Most popular DJ headphones (Pioneer, Technics, Sony, Ultrasone, Shure, etc) are circumaural.. the Sennheiser HD8.. which is based on the HD25 but is larger.. is also circumaural. But The HD25 (HD25-1 II) and HD25 Light (HD25SP) are supra-aural, as are AKG K81 DJ, Aiaiai, and some others...

Circumaural is def more common.. and in theory they will give you better isolation and comfort since the ear pad is pressing against your head and not against your ear. Also, in a closed-back headphone (which they all are.. since that is the only type useful for DJing) the amount of bass is somewhat limited by the size of the earcup, so a larger earcup will tend to give more bass, tho that is not a strict rule.

All that said, the HD25 gives pretty good isolation despite being supra-aural, and has enough bass. Personally I like that they are small and light, I prefer the way they fit compared to most DJ headphones and would not go back to the other style (I used to have Sony MDR-V700's like so many people did in the early 2000's). But to each his or her own.