Thread: Hi I'm DJ Sunkisst - a 19 Year Old DJ from Texas

Hi I'm DJ Sunkisst - a 19 Year Old DJ from Texas

Hey what's up everyone. My name is Jared but I go by the name DJ Sunkisst. I am from Killeen Texas, a small city an hour North of the capital of Texas; Austin. I have been a DJ for 4 years and I'm coming to this forum to find insight on cities with a great DJ scene. I feel as though the city I reside in, and the surrounding cities don't have much to offer. I truly put myself out there, from radio mixes, to tour, to quality advertisements reaching thousands, and everything in between. I hustle hard and I go the extra mile. I've even taken steps towards building a team to help me grow. But...the rewards are minimal. Barely making income from any of my DJ endeavors. Not getting enough calls for bookings. And I really believe that comes down to the market I'm in. People just don't have the money to book DJ's. And the people that do, barely have enough. I don't charge an arm and a leg, in fact I'm probably the least expensive DJ locally. But I still barely get bookings. I think when you break it down and look at the demographics of my city it makes sense. Killeen's median household income is $48k. Which is $11k below the national average. People just don't have the money. On top of that, there aren't too many events going on. The nightlife is kinda bad, with only a few nightclubs that really stand out. So I feel I need to find a better market that I can hustle even harder in and start reaching my goals faster, and on top of that, making more income from all of what I do. I don't believe staying in this city for another 5 years, living with my parents, is going to help me achieve my goals. I should relocate to a market where my hustle will be matched with higher reward. Do you agree? Is there such a market/scene? If so, how do I get there? Also, I've thought about moving to a less populated DJ market. I feel as if Central Texas and specifically Killeen, is overpopulated with DJ's. Are there any cities where just a few really good DJ's run the scene?

Quote Originally Posted by djsunkisst View Post
    Hey what's up everyone. My name is Jared but I go by the name DJ Sunkisst.
    Welcome Jared.... Based on your post, I am assuming you're a mobile DJ, not a club DJ, so that's what I am going to address.

I am from Killeen Texas, a small city an hour North of the capital of Texas; Austin. I have been a DJ for 4 years and I'm coming to this forum to find insight on cities with a great DJ scene. I feel as though the city I reside in, and the surrounding cities don't have much to offer.
    I bet they have more going on than you know about but, I'll leave that alone. At about 175,000 people in the city & about 350,000 in the county, there are plenty of weddings taking place not to mention birthday parties etc.... private events. I gather your looking for public events to play. Those are going to long time, established DJ's that are well known & coordinators "go to" DJ's. You're not likely to get those gigs in any area until you're established. You need to focus more on private events & get your reputation out there. Build a following of private citizens rather than coordinators.

I truly put myself out there, from radio mixes, to tour, to quality advertisements reaching thousands, and everything in between.
    Explain this. You promote yourself with radio mixes?
    You tour? You tour??????
    How & where are you advertising & how much are you spending per month on each form of advertising?

I hustle hard and I go the extra mile. I've even taken steps towards building a team to help me grow. But...the rewards are minimal. Barely making income from any of my DJ endeavors. Not getting enough calls for bookings.
    What do you mean you go the extra mile... what are you doing "going the extra mile"? How?

And I really believe that comes down to the market I'm in. People just don't have the money to book DJ's. And the people that do, barely have enough. I don't charge an arm and a leg, in fact I'm probably the least expensive DJ locally. But I still barely get bookings. I think when you break it down and look at the demographics of my city it makes sense. Killeen's median household income is $48k. Which is $11k below the national average. People just don't have the money.
    Again, Public events vs private events. Look, the economy is higher than its been in 20 years right now. There is more money moving right now. People are spending money... they just may not be spending it on DJ's. They could be hiring bands instead of DJs. Also, they are probably hiring more experienced, higher priced DJs. When everyone else is at $150 per hr & one DJ is at $75 per hr & they dont know him, they arent likely to take him seriously. Especially for a formal event like a wedding.

On top of that, there aren't too many events going on. The nightlife is kinda bad, with only a few nightclubs that really stand out. So I feel I need to find a better market that I can hustle even harder in and start reaching my goals faster, and on top of that, making more income from all of what I do. I don't believe staying in this city for another 5 years, living with my parents, is going to help me achieve my goals. I should relocate to a market where my hustle will be matched with higher reward. Do you agree? Is there such a market/scene? If so, how do I get there? Also, I've thought about moving to a less populated DJ market. I feel as if Central Texas and specifically Killeen, is overpopulated with DJ's. Are there any cities where just a few really good DJ's run the scene?
    This paragraph sounds like you're trying to work the club scene. If so, I'm out. I dont do clubs. I'm strictly mobile.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Hi I'm DJ Sunkisst - a 19 Year Old DJ from Texas

Hey what's up everyone. My name is Jared but I go by the name DJ Sunkisst. I am from Killeen Texas, a small city an hour North of the capital of Texas; Austin. I have been a DJ for 4 years and I'm coming to this forum to find insight on cities with a great DJ scene. I feel as though the city I reside in, and the surrounding cities don't have much to offer. I truly put myself out there, from radio mixes, to tour, to quality advertisements reaching thousands, and everything in between. I hustle hard and I go the extra mile. I've even taken steps towards building a team to help me grow. But...the rewards are minimal. Barely making income from any of my DJ endeavors. Not getting enough calls for bookings. And I really believe that comes down to the market I'm in. People just don't have the money to book DJ's. And the people that do, barely have enough. I don't charge an arm and a leg, in fact I'm probably the least expensive DJ locally. But I still barely get bookings. I think when you break it down and look at the demographics of my city it makes sense. Killeen's median household income is $48k. Which is $11k below the national average. People just don't have the money. On top of that, there aren't too many events going on. The nightlife is kinda bad, with only a few nightclubs that really stand out. So I feel I need to find a better market that I can hustle even harder in and start reaching my goals faster, and on top of that, making more income from all of what I do. I don't believe staying in this city for another 5 years, living with my parents, is going to help me achieve my goals. I should relocate to a market where my hustle will be matched with higher reward. Do you agree? Is there such a market/scene? If so, how do I get there? Also, I've thought about moving to a less populated DJ market. I feel as if Central Texas and specifically Killeen, is overpopulated with DJ's. Are there any cities where just a few really good DJ's run the scene?
    At 19, and having been DJing for 4 years already, you've got a MUCH better chance of making a go of it than someone like me. I've been at it for about that long too, but I didn't start until I was 62.😄 YOUR best bet is to focus on events where the guests are YOUNG... like wedding receptions, sweet 16's, and Bar Mitzvahs. The latter might take a little learning/training. I find that most 20 something brides prefer younger DJ's, and having someone old enough to be your grandpa doing a Sweet 16 seems a little creepy, so I focus on corporate events, anniversaries, retirement parties and older people's events. If you look for a niche where you have an advantage, you can get yourself established and go from there. There's BIG money in Sweet 16's and Bar Mitzvahs. You need to advertise where those young people are... You need a good social media presence... Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., and a good Web Site. Then check into Google Ads. Where do you come up when someone searches DJ's in your area on Google? If you're not coming up at the top, or near the top, you're not gonna get a lot of contacts from young people. Changing cities might make a difference, but there's probably about the same ratio of DJ's anyplace you go. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    "Welcome Jared.... Based on your post, I am assuming you're a mobile DJ, not a club DJ, so that's what I am going to address. "

Mobile and just stepping into the nightlife scene. Not any clubs yet, but I just did my first local bar last Tuesday.

"I bet they have more going on than you know about but, I'll leave that alone. At about 175,000 people in the city & about 350,000 in the county, there are plenty of weddings taking place not to mention birthday parties etc.... private events. I gather your looking for public events to play. Those are going to long time, established DJ's that are well known & coordinators "go to" DJ's. You're not likely to get those gigs in any area until you're established. You need to focus more on private events & get your reputation out there. Build a following of private citizens rather than coordinators."

There might be a lot more going on. But it doesn't seem that way. I honestly don't know. I'm only seeing what I'm seeing.

Explain this. You promote yourself with radio mixes?
    You tour? You tour??????
    How & where are you advertising & how much are you spending per month on each form of advertising?

I did my first tour in April this year with an artist from Dallas named Adrian Stresow. We were in support of Ryan Caraveo for 3 days across Texas. Hitting some of the biggest cities; Houston, Austin, and Dallas.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhc6rnJn...=1po3dkt1kunf9

Yes, I promote myself with radio mixes. This year I earned a spot on a late night radio show on B106.3.

"What do you mean you go the extra mile... what are you doing "going the extra mile"? How?"

That's something you just gotta see. From watching me. I really put in work and dedication. A lot of it.

"Again, Public events vs private events. Look, the economy is higher than its been in 20 years right now. There is more money moving right now. People are spending money... they just may not be spending it on DJ's. They could be hiring bands instead of DJs. Also, they are probably hiring more experienced, higher priced DJs. When everyone else is at $150 per hr & one DJ is at $75 per hr & they dont know him, they arent likely to take him seriously. Especially for a formal event like a wedding."

I agree. The economy is booming. But locally I feel as though it might not be. I'm constantly getting undercut, people trying to lower the price, people always telling me it's too much. Or maybe it's not the economy but maybe it's just people not valuing DJ's. And I strongly dislike blaming my lack of success on other things/people. In fact I don't ever do it. But this whole thought of "am I in the wrong market", comes because I truly feel like I am doing everything and more, but not seeing the results. A lot of people complain and blame other people before even looking at themselves and seeing if they're doing everything they can. I'm not one of those people. I looked at myself before and really evaluated myself. I focused on working harder and smarter before I started thinking maybe it could be the market I'm in. I feel as though if I brought this hustle to the right market, the results would be much higher.

"This paragraph sounds like you're trying to work the club scene. If so, I'm out. I dont do clubs. I'm strictly mobile.
    "

I'd like to work both scenes but I don't want to stop there. I don't want to be just a club DJ. And I don't just want to be a mobile DJ. My end goal is much bigger than all of that.

PS: Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You're awesome for that and this whole conversation we're having is helping me clear my head.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    At 19, and having been DJing for 4 years already, you've got a MUCH better chance of making a go of it than someone like me. I've been at it for about that long too, but I didn't start until I was 62.�� YOUR best bet is to focus on events where the guests are YOUNG... like wedding receptions, sweet 16's, and Bar Mitzvahs. The latter might take a little learning/training. I find that most 20 something brides prefer younger DJ's, and having someone old enough to be your grandpa doing a Sweet 16 seems a little creepy, so I focus on corporate events, anniversaries, retirement parties and older people's events. If you look for a niche where you have an advantage, you can get yourself established and go from there. There's BIG money in Sweet 16's and Bar Mitzvahs. You need to advertise where those young people are... You need a good social media presence... Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., and a good Web Site. Then check into Google Ads. Where do you come up when someone searches DJ's in your area on Google? If you're not coming up at the top, or near the top, you're not gonna get a lot of contacts from young people. Changing cities might make a difference, but there's probably about the same ratio of DJ's anyplace you go. Good luck to you.
    Thanks for the reply man!

"If you look for a niche where you have an advantage, you can get yourself established and go from there"

I'm still trying to find my niche. I've noticed I do better with crowds of my age a lot better than older crowds but that isn't much of niche.

"You need a good social media presence... Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., and a good Web Site. Then check into Google Ads. Where do you come up when someone searches DJ's in your area on Google? "

My social media presence is very strong right now. My engagement has been down lately, but I have strong and good looking social media accounts. There is much more room for growth though I will admit. My biggest platform is Instagram with just over 1,600 followers. As for Google Ads, I've been on it. I'm one of the top Facebook and Google searches for "Dj's in Killeen". Both Facebook and Google have 5 star ratings. So you kind of see where I'm coming from now? I feel like I'm really putting myself out there, doing everything, but seeing minimal results..I've run quality advertisements that have reached thousands but I never received a single call. And locally people know of me, I'm known, I'm even at a point where I get recognized in public quite often. Even other DJ's I've met, have heard of me before I had the chance to hear of them. So I'm just like..I don't know what I'm missing. What else can I try?

Oh also I have a website with my own domain. Forgot to add that since we were talking about a website.

Forgive me if that looks choppy or the format is weird, I'm new to forums. I'm learning how to reply lol.

Thanks for the reply man!

"If you look for a niche where you have an advantage, you can get yourself established and go from there"

I'm still trying to find my niche. I've noticed I do better with crowds of my age a lot better than older crowds but that isn't much of niche.

"You need a good social media presence... Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., and a good Web Site. Then check into Google Ads. Where do you come up when someone searches DJ's in your area on Google? "

My social media presence is very strong right now. My engagement has been down lately, but I have strong and good looking social media accounts. There is much more room for growth though I will admit. My biggest platform is Instagram with just over 1,600 followers. As for Google Ads, I've been on it. I'm one of the top Facebook and Google searches for "Dj's in Killeen". Both Facebook and Google have 5 star ratings. So you kind of see where I'm coming from now? I feel like I'm really putting myself out there, doing everything, but seeing minimal results..I've run quality advertisements that have reached thousands but I never received a single call. And locally people know of me, I'm known, I'm even at a point where I get recognized in public quite often. Even other DJ's I've met, have heard of me before I had the chance to hear of them. So I'm just like..I don't know what I'm missing. What else can I try?
    Have you Googled yourself lately???... I Googled DJ in Killeen TX, and I'm not seeing you at all... not in four pages on my iPhone. Unless you go by a name other than Sunkisst, I'm not seeing you.😊

Yessir. Just doubled checked. I'm there! Same search as you. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...E,lf:1,lf_ui:1