Thread: An introduction and a question

An introduction and a question

Hi, Andrew (or Vex) here.

I'm currently taking lessons on DJing, one on one with a professional DJ. To start, I have Pioneer DDJ-SB2 for practising and a MacBook Pro with Serato DJ Pro. This is mostly because my teacher uses the same program, and the company he works for sends people out with the same software.

I'm the first to admit I know very little. I've done a few VERY amateurish sets at private open-DJ events, but that was barely crossfading between two tracks, with not much in the way of beat matching. People responded well to my choice of music, and reading the crowd and choosing tracks to play seemed to come naturally, but I want to learn how to REALLY work magic as a DJ, and hopefully end up doing it as a career.

I'm already catching on to a few things as I start (he's starting with House music).

My interest, personally, is in industrial/aggrotech/ebm and electro-industrial music. My teacher isn't very familiar with the genre, so it comes to the question...

Does anyone know of a Radio DJ Pool that has a good selection of those genres?

Promo Only

Welcome to the forums!
    This is my signature.

I didn't end up signing up wtih Promo Only... their website (at least in Canada) is confusing as hell. I couldn't find anything to corroborate that it had the kind of music I'm looking to mix for pleasure. Thanks for the welcome!

Artists like SITD, Suicide Commando, C-Lekktor, Imperative Reaction, Neuroticfish, VNV Nation, Faderhead, etc (yeah, I know those are all somewhat different)

As it is... I'm not sure industrial/darkrave/ebm (not EDM) and synthpop are as easy to find.

I look back to my first super amateur time mixing... and I'm going "holy... yeah, NOW I know a bit more of what I'm doing."

You won't find that genre in a record pool. I cannot find my genre either - breaks.

Promo Only is for the more pop and rap songs that a mobile DJ would need. I joined for a couple of months when I was mobile DJing and they give you a lot of tracks, but most of them are horrible.

You can try to find some of your genre on soundcloud or bandcamp. With your rare genre, you are going to have a constant struggle trying to find tunes.

Good luck, I hope you find some tunes.

Welcome to DJF!

I'd also suggest looking at ZipDJ.com their pool. They seem to be pretty good.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

For specialized music like that, the best thing to do is to identify the labels that specialize in that music (very easy.. look up all the releases by the artists you like and find out what labels they are on), then find out where those are sold. For example most of the music by the artists is sold on Bandcamp, some on Beatport... So that's me.... Discogs.com can be great to find out what other artists and releases are on the same labels as the tracks/artists you like.. and you go from there.