Thread: Unprepared DJs borrowing your equipment

Unprepared DJs borrowing your equipment

Does anyone else see and issue with DJs coming to gigs asking to borrow headphones, needles, time-coded vinyl, even your laptop? I don't want anyone else's sweat on my phones or DJs licking their fingers and spreading their spit on my vinyl, wearing out my needles etc. Come with your own shit. You are not going to stick your flash drive in my computer; I don't know what possible viruses you got on it. I use Virtual DJ software so I just tell 'em my functions are all customized its not going to work for you but its hard to turn down someone that's in a jam. I'm extra diligent in making sure I got all my stuff.

According to some of your previous posts, I thought you only used a small controller. The situation you describe has more or less a yes or no situation attached to it, there's no need to go all precious. In all my years of djing and doing gigs, I refused once to share my headphones with a guy I had never seen before, or after and that's about it.

You are not going to stick your flash drive in my computer ; I don't know what possible viruses you got on it
    Computing 101. Right click, scan for viruses. Then the usb autoplay function was more or less patched back in the days of windows XP.

I use Virtual DJ software so I just tell 'em my functions are all customized its not going to work for you
    Select + cue/play a track, then pitch up or down or just press the autosync button is not rocket science. Not sure what custom settings there are there to prevent another DJ from using such basic functions, and not sure why you would reassign those functions and not use buttons that are already there for that specific task. At the end of the day, it's not some obscure witchcraft.

If you're hell bent on other people not using your stuff, then it is a matter you raise with conditions that you apply before the gig.

all depends, i have some DJ friends with whom we help eachother out whenever we are stuck. its important to have a couple of people who you have trust with. but we almost never need to call upon one another for help.

i do hate having to give out that '1 x stereo jack to RCA phono' cable though to people i dont know , primarily because i NEVER get it back.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 05-25-2018 at 05:42 AM.

By definition, if a DJ needs something during a gig, he/she isn't prepared. That being said, even I haven't been able to find a random RCA-RCA cable or an extension cord I thought I had.

I have no problem helping a random DJ in a pinch, but I'm clear that I'm showing trust by lending. I expect the trust to be earned with returning whatever little thing I borrowed. If I don't like the DJ, I'll sell the item for $5, $10, or $20 - generally whatever he/she has on them.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

there's always someone who's disorganised with their stuff, and there's always the odd oversight by organised people. I tend to provide everything except carts/headshells & headphones. I do provide a mic', I just keep all my stuff clean, and if cart's are needed, I give my spares to the disorganised

Quote Originally Posted by South Rakkas Crew View Post
    Does anyone else see and issue with DJs coming to gigs asking to borrow headphones, needles, time-coded vinyl, even your laptop? I don't want anyone else's sweat on my phones or DJs licking their fingers and spreading their spit on my vinyl, wearing out my needles etc. Come with your own shit. You are not going to stick your flash drive in my computer; I don't know what possible viruses you got on it. I use Virtual DJ software so I just tell 'em my functions are all customized its not going to work for you but its hard to turn down someone that's in a jam. I'm extra diligent in making sure I got all my stuff.
    You come across as a little highly strung chief