Thread: Yamaha DXR15 - blown, or something else?

Unhappy Yamaha DXR15 - blown, or something else?

Hi,

recently one of my DXR15's started rattling at louder volumes. Sounds like something loose inside. Or is it blown? Anyone seen anything like this? It is still under warranty, but I'm afraid they might say I did something.

https://youtu.be/2AuMkuKejJs

Thanks for any opinions!

It could be something loose inside or it could be a driver close to blowing. Either way it's not something you should be thinking about fixing yourself.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by mrQQ View Post
    recently one of my DXR15's started rattling at louder volumes. Sounds like something loose inside.
    Agree it sounds like something buzzing. Try running tone sweeps through it instead of music.. it works better at isolating the problem.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Agree it sounds like something buzzing. Try running tone sweeps through it instead of music.. it works better at isolating the problem.
    Yea, good idea. I did that, and there's a narrow range down below, at 90hz-ish where it appears and then disappears again. Should be something lose, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mrQQ View Post
    Should be something lose, right?
    Could be a lose screw on the driver or amp module of maybe the compression driver is lose.. they often screw into the horn. Technically you void the warranty if you take it apart and these look to be brand new(decals still on it) so best to have a certified Yamaha service tech do it.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com