Thread: Replacement scanner mirrors DIY?

Replacement scanner mirrors DIY?

Had a pair of inversion scanners come back from a hire. The mirrors have had some damage. Now I see from some suppliers you can buy 116mm replacements for $30 USD a mirror so that’s up there I’m wondering if I got some beauty mirror or went to the glass shop could get something cheap done up? Just was hoping to use them for a job this weekend and hoping for a quick fix until I get a chance to get to one of my containers I have some ADJ scanners I can harvest for Mirrors. One of those containers I won’t be able to access for another 6 months so all ideas welcome.

OP

My main concern is weight.

Every scanner I've seen uses ultra thin front surface mirrors. Front surface mirrors do transmit more light than conventional rear surface mirrors you find in your bathroom or purse, but it's not a radical amount. Maybe 6-8% at most. Front surface mirrors also scratch real easy and attract dust more than rear surface. However, front surface mirrors can be made real thin.

Now, the servo motors used in every scanner I've seen aren't exactly lacking for torque. The heavier front surface mirror won't hurt the motor, but it might slow really fast movements down a bit and you might see a slight double image from going through glass. I'm more curious how you are going to mount it.

I think I' the only guy left who likes scanners a bit more than movers. Even the chinese don't bother to make scanner knock-offs.

Agreed lightingmirrorman.com (UK site so our exchange rate is a DISASTER) have them so think i might just grab them see where we go. I don't want to spend to much on this rather put the coin toward movers. BUT you are right those particular servo motors are more delicate than some of the old school Martins ETC
    OP

For what's it's worth, I fixed up a few ADJ pocket scans, that also needed new mirrors. I had a local shop cut some new mirrors on 1/16 inch mirror. The only problem i can see is that sometimes the image is not as sharp as the original mirror.

I just used the closest I could find at my local crafts store. Hobby Lobby or Michaels - I think it is $6 for a set of two.... Just use double sided sticky tape to attach to the metal P/T Motor and very little to NO difference from my stock mirrors

I found a 6" round for $1!

https://www.michaels.com/small-craft...0and%20Jewelry