Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shure to cease production of carts and styli

Shure to cease production of carts and styli

As a Shure Whitelable user, this news super sucks

Niles, IL., May 1, 2018—For more than 90 years, Shure has been committed to manufacturing and delivering products of the highest quality, reliability, and value. This commitment requires consistency in materials, processes, and testing, as well the capacity to react to fluctuations in demand.

In recent years, the ability to maintain our exacting standards in the Phonograph Cartridge product category has been challenged, resulting in cost and delivery impacts that are inconsistent with the Shure brand promise.

In light of these conditions, and after thorough evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Shure Phono products effective Summer 2018.

Given our decades-long history of participation in the Phono category, we recognize that this decision may come as a disappointment to our channel partners and end users.

We are grateful for the support and loyalty demonstrated for Shure Phono products through the years and we are proud of the impact that these products have made on our customers’ lives and the reputation of the Shure brand. We believe that the proud legacy of Shure Phono is best served by exiting the category rather than continuing production under increasingly challenging circumstances.

Shure will continue to bring reputable, high quality products to market and we look forward to meeting and exceeding customer expectations on our current and future offerings. As Shure expands into new markets and product categories for audiophiles, our enduring commitment to premium performance and technological innovation will remain at our core.
    DjWorx article link: https://djworx.com/shure-end-phono-line-rip-m44-7/
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Somewhere there's an ortofon sales rep rubbing his hands together...

Man, that's too bad. Classic carts right there. WTF is it with major music businesses tanking recently? Gibson filed for chapter 11 too, which is a huge deal. Maybe just the cost of most people going digital I guess.
    This is my signature.

They shure are making the right decision financially

^^
    This is my signature.

wondering on what to do with my 5 shure m44-7's. should i sell them now? or by some styli and use them till they no longer work?
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

My friend has White Labels, I let him know about this and he went and ordered extra styli, said it was already starting to show low stock at some places, so unless you want to buy new carts it's wise to have some spares. But obviously everyone will have to bite the bullet eventually and switch carts. It would have been nice if they had discontinued the carts and kept making the styli for a while.. this will suck for new buyers. But I suspect that it's not a choice they had available to them.

It seems pretty strange that they pull out of carts.

Looking at their business model, it seems a bit strange.
    Headphones is a saturated market, plus many chinese companies provide the best bang for buck.
    Mics is a market where maybe there is some room to manouver, but, again there are lots of cheap new startups.
    With stylii they only had one competitor really. Also Shure had the best reputation for scratch carts.

Perhaps this is because absolutely no one is buying DJ turntables these days.

Seems strange as vinyl is selling more than other formats.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by JGeffen View Post
    Man, that's too bad. Classic carts right there. WTF is it with major music businesses tanking recently? Gibson filed for chapter 11 too, which is a huge deal. Maybe just the cost of most people going digital I guess.
    I was going to say that just leaves Ortofon and Stanton as our only DJ cart choices, but I just found out Stanton is owned by Gibson. So that will leave Ortofon with a monopoly for DJ carts. I hope it doesn't get to their heads and ultimately our wallets .

Quote Originally Posted by djknowledge View Post
    wondering on what to do with my 5 shure m44-7's. should i sell them now? or by some styli and use them till they no longer work?
    I'm in the same boat, but I'm going to keep my 3 Whitelables and try to buy as many styli as I can afford.
    Last edited by Mark_Spit; 05-02-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,