Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CDJ Suggestions

Ok guys thanks for everything, I decided to go with the CDJ 400s since they were only $200 for the pair. Brought them home and tested them and I seem to be able to use them just fine. I think part of the reason is that it's been so long since I played on the 1000s that I forgot what it was like. Now I need to tune up my beatmatching since I do it all manually. Setting at +6 gets the tightest pitch adjustment, right? (has 6,10, 16). Hopefully in a few weeks I can start adding a Saturday afternoon mix to my twitch game streams!

No problem that it only plays MP3. I've only been DLing MP3 since I quit playing out so that's pretty much all I have. Since I'm only streaming online I figure not many people will know the difference.

The good news is most of the promo lists I was on while I was doing shows still send me stuff. The bad news is that most of my Beatport library was on a hard drive that died. Anybody know if they allow you to re-download your purchases?

And my stream takes off I may upgrade to the 2000s, but I couldn't find any used sets for sale locally. That's def my next stop.

I use +10 and it's basically fine, especially if you have any of the slightest knowledge of beatmatching in general. +6 is the tightest, you're correct. If you own a song on beatport I'm pretty sure they allow you to redownload it one single time as a backup.

Awesome. I hope they let me re-download my library! But I doubt it. I sent them an email this afternoon and got an auto-reply to expect a response in a few business days so we'll see.

I'll have to play around with the beatmatching again. I'm definitely out of practice lol

I would need a suggestion aswell: Actually i am playing vinyl but want to add one CDJ/media player to my setup for some digital tracks. Would you recommend still buying a CDJ-350 in 2019? I know the display sucks and an XDJ-700 would be way nicer but as i just want to use this player as an addition for only some rare tracks i can't find on vinyl, i don't want to spent too much money on it. It will not be a main part in my sets, so actually there is no need for fancy stuff... the player should just be reliable for mixing house/techno

Numark NDX 500 only plays MP3, which is too limited for me. Gemini has poor quality. So as far as i have done my research, the only reliable option is Pioneer?

If all you want to do is select a file off a usb stick and mix it, the 350 will still work fine. It def supports mp3, wav and aiff files, definitely not flac. You already know about the display limitations... It has very limited support for Rekordbox but it does have the basics.. in comparison to the 700 which has MUCH newer software support and is more like an XDJ1000mk2 but with fewer physical controls. But it sounds like you don't need that anyway. Other than the display issue they were great basic decks, nice jog wheels etc.. I liked mine a lot until they were stolen
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 08-18-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Yes, it will be just used for plain mixing. smooth transitions, house and techno music. no scratching or anything. so FX or what so ever are not important. a good pitch fader and a nice platter for beat matching is all i need actually. plus a display which allows at least a minimum of information and orientation.

I've read about the rekordbox limitations of the 350 but i'm not sure if i got it right; can you set a cue point in rekordbox for each of your song (just the starting cue on the first beat, thats all i need) and then export these prepared songs on your USB drive? will the CDJ 350 be able to read these? or is this whole rekordbox preparation limited to the higher models? i found totally different information about this.

does anyone have another solution? what about the stanton cmp 800? or another brand? important would be USB with support for most formats like mp3, aff, wav etc.
    Last edited by CarlNapp; 08-18-2019 at 03:42 PM.

The 350 CAN definitely read the database of a Rekordbox-exported flash drive. You get your playlists, basic browse by genre/artist/album/etc and BPM. But no cue points. When I had mine I was not using Rekordbox yet, I was just dropping folders of tracks on the flash drive, browsing the folders and selecting tracks. I didn't even have tags.. just filenames. Since I was transitioning from CD, it was pretty much the same as playing from CD so I thought it was fine.... But yea, definitely once you get used to some of those extra features you want them...

But I am pretty sure that the CDJ-850 supports cue points, or at least ONE rekordbox cue point. But I have never owned one so can't be sure. But you might be happier with an 850, they're probably pretty cheap now on the used market...
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 08-18-2019 at 10:46 PM.

I'd really love a set of XDJ-1000MK2s. I've had a set of CDJ-900MK1s forever, and while they're still a solid and dependable all-around player, I'd love to upgrade to the nice touchscreen of the XDJs. I just can't justify dropping 2 grand on a new set for home use and the occasional house party. The little lady was none too pleased when I splurged on the 900s years ago. How do you like yours light-o-matic?

Yes, avoid Gemini.

This time last year, I would not have recommended Denon Prime. Things have changed, though. If you don't care about the quality of the keylock off sound processing quality, then Denon Prime. If you mostly run with keylock off and want the best sound immediately, then Pioneer. The base Denon Prime processing and sample rate conversion leaves a lot to be desired right now compared to Pioneer's minimalist approach, but will probably eventually get improved.

I should also point out that InMusic/Denon are actively improving their usability, so if you mix with your ears, the Denons will increasingly do that better. Right now both brands are a bit clunky in the usability department, but InMusic/Denon has been receptive to suggestions. You'll get more bang for your buck and more potential growth in the product capability and features with Denon Prime if you're willing to put up with the sound signature and quirks they have right now.

If you're on a budget, mix with your ears, don't need advanced search, and don't mind permanent sub-Pioneer sound quality, there's also Hanpin-made stuff: American Audio, Akiyama, Citronic, DJ Tech, Omnitronic, Reloop, Stanton, etc. They link by daisy-chaining USB cables and are rock solid, other than their button tact switches not being the most reliable which is cheap to resolve on the most-used buttons. There's also an all-in-one two player plus mixer unit.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 09-16-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Ended up with XDJs 700 eventually