Thread: Gain problems . ? helpmeeplzz(sinking)

Gain problems . ? helpmeeplzz(sinking)

Hey guys!
    Few moths ago i bought new speakers, headphones, than i took a break. Used the speakers simply to listen. Now i decided to record a mix and i found that my mix = the tracks compared to eachother are ""gainy"". I mismatch (well a lot of things XD) but now the gain and other eq levels are the concern.
    Pushed thru my set on MP3GAIN or used the AUTO GAIN FUNCTION ON TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO there were/(are?) still problems.

Maybe the volume was too low when i did the mix? I did not heard THAT amount of mismatch back than. If i recall correctly.

My system& set up:

ALESIS Elevate MK II
    5" studio speakers (nearfield/semi-nearfield monitor)
    attached to the wall with arms STELL SHO 5000 approx 130cm/4ft away from eachother
    They are rotated invards 45° and tilted downwards (not much but max.)
    Im sitting flat in the triangle. (~80cm/3ft to the wall)
    The middle of the speakers are 15cm above my ears.

The speaker has a bass boost switch. Tried to mix in both sw position
    Standing waves because my speakers are relatively close to the wall? But the reflex tubes are at the front.
    Am i sitting too much "inside the music" and missing the so called sweet spot?

Or is it just the studio quality speakers are reflecting that im sh... 10y+old headphones and speakers i had before.

AKG K518 headphones
    RELOOP RMX-20 (the gain indicator lights are not/channel, so i can see only the level of headphones, and the lvl of master out. cheap eh?)
    2x DENON DN-S 1000
    NI - TRAKTOR AUDIO 6
    TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO (TRIED w/wo AUTOGAIN)

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!
    Last edited by divisor; 04-16-2018 at 04:45 PM.

I'm not understanding the problem. Do you mean that you perceive a different level of average volume from track to track? Or do you mean that there is a true dynamic range difference between tracks? Or is this a speaker/headphone issue - meaning that your mix looks level from a digital audio standpoint (looking at the mix waveform), but the volume rises and falls at different points in the mix?

I first thought that you need to gain-stage, but then you said that you used MP3Gain (which I use rarely) and play your tracks through Traktor (which I use and it has an auto-gain feature). The gain of your tracks shouldn't be an issue within Traktor - especially if the tracks have been processed through MP3Gain.

So what is the actual problem that you want to solve?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Match levels using your ears instead of relying on software to do the job for you. Also sound wise, alesis monitors often exaggerate the bass response.

Before you bring up the incoming record, you need to set the EQ flat and adjust the gain so that the meter reads the same as the current track. This is new to me also. I learned it on this forum and it's the way to go. So now when I hear DJ's playing live, I can always tell when they haven't touched the gain before brining it up. It comes in blaring and then they turn it down.

First i did the mix by ear. (No autogain no mp3gain) So tracks were mildly different in volume.
    The second part of the mix is louder, but its me. Heavier tracks, +my arms said yeeeehawwww
    But in the first section there are differences what i havent heard when i was sitting in the (flat?) triangle w my speakers. (Maybe id call this THE problem)

I listed all the stuff because I was curious what could cause this phenomenon. With autogain the snare/hihat of the "nex track" should not rip the homogenity of the session.

The problem stayed after autogain.
    And now i dont know if im out of practice, speaker issue/positioning issue...ect.

Thanks for your answer!

When im mixing i try to stay as close to the 0dbEQ positions as possible. (maybe it was a problem too) I guess with the exaggerated bass response, snares can be harsh when you are away from these semi nearfield monitors. And you come out from the "bass bubble".

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by divisor; 04-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.

I don't use mp3gain, Traktor auto-gain, Platinum Notes.. or any of that to fix my files.

I DO use lossless (wav, aiff, or flac) files.

I DO set the gain manually for each track. As follows:

1) Cue the channel.
    2) Set EQ's at 0 (12 o'clock). UNLESS I plan to play the track at other EQ settings.. but this is very very rare.
    3) Bring track to point where the bass has kicked in.
    4) Set gain knob so that cue meter peaks at 0.
    5) When I bring in the track, I bring the channel fader all the way up.. as far as it can go.
    6) When mixing, I bring something OUT when I bring something else IN. For example, bring a the bass down a little bit on the old track before bringing the bass up on the new track. You do not have to bring it all the way down.. but bring the bass on the old track down to at least 10 o'clock when bringing the bass up on the new track. In general, watch out for competition between sounds in the two tracks.

#7 Thank you, too!
    I figured it out most of it durin the years (15yrs or so). But cuz im an autodidact (more or less) its always good to be reinforced +to know how others roll. (4 example im almost sure that im not using headphones correctly but thats another topic)

Practicing getting your volume levels right is an integral skill of a DJ. Work your upfaders until you get it right.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips