Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harmonic mixing? has any of you ever used it? examples?

$.02

It's obviously not necessary considering about 99% of vinyl mixes aren't in tune. Even if two records are in the same key, by the time you match the BPM on the two tracks they aren't in key anymore.
    So yeah, If you are safely mixing outros to intros, percussion, jump cuts or minimal styles together, it's not necessary. If you are mixing vocals, instrumentals and melodies, doing mash ups or remixing on the fly it's going to help greatly. We all know how shitty something sounds when it's out of tune, so it's probably something you want to avoid.

I generally balance my sets between tracks that define the narrative I want to establish and harmonic mixing to establish flow. So it'll be a deep funky cut and I'll harmonically mix a few tracks to establish that vibe, if it's working on the floor I'll continue to sort of work within that realm. If my set needs more energy I'll pull out a track (regardless of key) to sort of pick things up and then vibe out with that for a few tracks before changing it up again, if necessary.

If you want a sample of it here is a little tid bit I took from one of my mixes.
    Sorry if you don't like house/Disco, but you should be able to get the jist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jDW_F6uSgg
    Last edited by Dubflakes; 05-15-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Banned
    "Idiot has been banned" - Manu

Since idiot keeps coming back and being an annoying little pain, idiot is going to get his details plastered on the internet.

Details for 41.98.70.39
    IP: 41.98.70.39
    Decimal: 694306343
    Hostname: 41.98.70.39
    ASN: 36947
    ISP: Algerie Telecom
    Organization: Algerie Telecom
    Services: None detected
    Type: Broadband
    Assignment: Likely Static IP
    Blacklist:
    Continent: Africa
    State/Region: Tlemcen
    City: Tlemcen
    Latitude: 34.8783 (34° 52′ 41.88″ N)
    Longitude: -1.315 (1° 18′ 54.00″ W)
    Postal Code: 13000

email mirthe98@polishxwyb.com
    Last edited by Manu; 07-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.

I use harmonic mixing a lot, and shifting keys. Just listen to my mixes below (SPAM™) for plenty of that. The benefit is the flow without harmonies or pitches clashing.

I have all my vinyl marked with BPM and key. I then sort it by format - type (Rock/ House/ Techno/ Soul) - genre - Key.

So when i select stuff I can select the next record by key. Can do it on Traktor as well.

It becomses second nature after a while - though if you are playing out with only say a box of vinyl your choices do become limited.

I think harmonic mixing benefits many styles of mixing but not all equally. Trance, progressive, and some melodic styles of house all have melodies that can clash if key is ignored during blends. Harder techno or even some bass music may have more sparse melodies that don't draw as much attention to differences between the tracks. If you play a style where you have noticed that sometimes the blends feel a little off in how the notes fit together, this may be the missing piece of the puzzle. Long before mixed in key, we would figure out the key in a piano and write it on the sleeve of tracks. We'd use this as a guide to play songs that could fit together more naturally because of this musical relationship. Now in the digital age, I can organize by key when I want to do long mixes that would benefit from the melodies fitting together more naturally.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

IMHO harmonic mixing is best on long blends with the outgoing track having music playing. With long blends, the opportunity for music clashing is higher than short transitions.

What I don't like about harmonic mixing is that I feel constrained by the tracks I "should" play regardless of transition style.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Since i'm a digital DJ mixing in key is really easy because of track analysis. I tend not to rely on it too much as you can always play with the key distances,. But usually I try to get it right,.. It just sounds better when you do.