Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJs asking if they can play your night?

DJs asking if they can play your night?

How you guys feel about it?

Now obviously, it depends on the situation, the event and who is aksing. I'm talking about the the DJ you know more less well, he sees your poster and is like "Hey can I come play too, you don't have to pay me".

Now for me, I kind of have a problem with this. First of all, I'm the kind of guy who don't like to refuse people, I like to say yes, and be like awesome the more the merrier. On the other hand... I do spend time planning my events, I put thought into the line ups I do. It's rarely something random. I think about the djs style and how they pair up with the other djs on the line up. Another problem I have with it is... I rather pay people!!!... for a few reasons I don't like the "I'll play for free"-DJ. First of all it can quickly ruin the business for all DJs with people who will play for free or who'll play for next to nothing. It would be nice to keep a standard. Next thing is that I want my DJs to be focused, if you play for free, are you really going to care about my night? How well it does? Are you going to feel a sense of responsibility for you performing to a certain standard? I'm not sure.

(Oh, and this especially goes for DJs who not otherwise show up at your events.)

What do you guys think? Is it rude to refuse the "Can I play too" DJ?
    Last edited by monkeystyle; 04-11-2018 at 12:51 AM.

If it creates an opportunity for a new DJ to play out, I think it's OK to book him in the opening set and have him play for free if you know how he sounds and believe it will be a good opportunity for both of you.

Last time I have seen one of them (theme was drum and bass / electro evening), I was with a few other DJs. Dude comes up from nowhere with a case full of vinyl and asks straight for a slot in the middle. I said no, others said OK let's give him a shot.

He insists rudely to borrow my (then brand spanking new) headphones because no he did not bring any, says I can trust him, all I see is his enormous fake diamond ring on his ear. So he moans some more about me not being cool about my equipment, and that's when I tell him I'm already doing him a favour since the entire DJ setup in front of him is mine. I also refused to let him use my cartridges/needles, as I did not agree with that in the first place.

And then he starts playing eurodance crap. He wiped the dancefloor clean off instantly, and never managed a soul for the 20 minutes he was there. He also maxxed out the gains and master, went full red on the mixer. Everyone either sat down, went to the bar / toilets / outside. On top of that he could not mix to save his rep, every other transition sounded like mixing shoes in a concrete making machine. How do I feel? waste of time and me having to monitor (read "suffer")what he did for the time he spent there, because it's my gear he's playing on.
    Last edited by Manu; 04-11-2018 at 09:35 AM.

LOL sorry to laugh at your misfortune but why would you let someone play a prime slot when you don't know them, never heard them play for even a minute, and didn't even ask them what style they are going to play????

Anyway as a guy who is mainly into events that are intended to appeal mainly to lovers of specific genres and/or specific scenes.. It is def a good thing to bring in new DJs who are coming up in your genre or part of your local scene, mix it up, build the community, etc. That is what builds an event and makes it special vs just being a commodity event for people to consume. And that might mean having people play that are not as skilled as you or your regulars but if they are dedicated to your scene then you want to help them along. And sometimes even sa DJ with so so skills will bring an energy and style that ultimately enhances the event. And then, sometss you find great DJs who can become strong additions to your event... But you have to at least put some thought into what slots people are going to play, at least at first. Even some great DJ's are not able to at great in every slot especially without advance prep.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 04-11-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Just a jumper, to be honest I chose to let the guy ridicule himself in front of the 5 strong audience he brought along...

Hmm I said I was mainly interested in events that are NOT intended to appeal to specific scenes/genres.. What I meant to say is the opposite. I have edited it.. Makes more sense now.

Just tell him that he can play only if something opens up. Otherwise, it's all booked. Also, I would never let him play unless I first heard a demo or heard him play somewhere in the past.

I think it depends who it is, and whether I think they're good enough/serious enough.
    It's wise to give up-and-comings a leg-up, as you may very well meet them on your way down!

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    I think it depends who it is, and whether I think they're good enough/serious enough.
    It's wise to give up-and-comings a leg-up, as you may very well meet them on your way down!
    Both are great points. I would ask for representative LIVE work prior to entertaining anything. If it fits and the skills are there, I wouldn't mind having whoever open. I think it's a professional courtesy... emphasis on professional.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    True, I'm usually a guy who gives everyone a chance and pay DJs well. But, I have to say I rarely get any returns on that. Most DJs I've booked haven't booked me back.