Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakdowns are getting way too long and ubiquitous again

Breakdowns are getting way too long and ubiquitous again

Remember trance in 2001? Remember this?

Iiiiiit's Baaaack

Then trance died. It's finally making a comeback after electro started cutting the bass to make more volume room for mids, making people realize that there's better mids-and-highs-house than bass music mastered like an n*sync track. But 10 years ago people started ditching trance because you could no longer dance to it. 4 minutes go by, BOOM 2 minute breakdown. Ok get your groove back, another 5 minutes BOOM 2 minute breakdown. Every track.

Part of what made electro so popular, when the sound in all its forms started around 2001ish, but really took off in 2005-2008 depending on where you lived, was that it went back to dance music's roots: raw synths, basslines, and strong drums to make you dance all night. You know, like funky house but for people who want that rave edge.

But then of course as the genre gets popular and people start looking for Sandstorm-esque super bangers, all the producers want to be the ones to have the big tension-release mega hit. Besides, as a producer I can tell you long ass breakdowns are fun to write.

Now we're at a point where all the dance music genres I liked are getting un-danceable. There will be 2 breakdowns in a 7 minute song for a total of 3 minutes. Sometimes 3. Most breakdowns are between 1 and 3 minutes long. I can't do 2-deck mixing anymore. I need a third deck just to loop intro kick drums under the breakdowns while I find the next track to play.

It sucks.

I want to play big room house sounds. I love where progressive house has gone, in terms of melodies and basslines. I still like to play electro. But I can't be playing an hour set only to have 15 minutes of hand waving for a crowd of 150 drunk 19 year olds in a dank ass warehouse at 11:07 pm.

When's the good shit coming back, like we had 4 years ago? Like when electro and french house kind of felt like the same shit and you could groove all night?

Tiesto is my gawd. Period, comma. Yeah!

I honestly feel like alot of techno is going in that exact direction.

better for me!!
    Need a new Global Trance avatar, takers? :p

http://soundcloud.com/frequentflyermiles

Do you have listen latest Minilogue tracks?

They take the concept even further: 30 min of building tension. XD

Last edited by login; 02-13-2012 at 12:56 AM.

I'll check it out later. If it's a 30 minute track it can't be cookie cutter

Ignotus, which part is better for you?

Funny you mentioned that Hygro, I was thinking about it a few days ago. Seems like it's all about the breakdown/buildup/drop combo again. How boring.

When's the good shit coming back, like we had 4 years ago? Like when electro and french house kind of felt like the same shit and you could groove all night?
    That's just a matter of digging for tracks, still plenty of stuff out there, you just need to find it.
    Last edited by David Bowman; 02-13-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Dude, youre a DJ. If you dont like the breakdowns, dont play them. You could spin faster or simply edit them out.

I agree with the 3 decks principle though. I dont spin Trance, I'm a dnb DJ, but most music is made along similar lines. I usually have 1-3 mins before the breakdown hits, by that point im mixing out deck 1 and mixing in deck 3 for the drop. Its a hell of a lot ot keep track of though, especially with the pressure of performing.

Quote Originally Posted by howitzer View Post
    Dude, youre a DJ. If you dont like the breakdowns, dont play them. You could spin faster or simply edit them out.

I agree with the 3 decks principle though. I dont spin Trance, I'm a dnb DJ, but most music is made along similar lines. I usually have 1-3 mins before the breakdown hits, by that point im mixing out deck 1 and mixing in deck 3 for the drop. Its a hell of a lot ot keep track of though, especially with the pressure of performing.
    I used to do that but this is a problem. You are now largely playing the first half of songs. You are therefore, by convenience, playing the less energetic half. Additionally, you are depriving yourself the opportunity to keep a single track's mood for a full 5-8 minutes, which can be really nice in an entrancing setting (regardless of genre). And it's a lot harder to ride the pitch when one of the tables doesn't have a beat

Now I could edit them out, but that's a hell of a hassle. I'd rather producers just stopped being prima donnas and kept their breakdowns to 30 seconds unless they had a damn good reason for it. I'm looking for a new genre.

Obviously, you can start mixing in the new track when the first one begins to break down and mix through that ish. If you don't feel like starting a new track there, use a drum tool track just to keep the beats going until the ethereal wanking is done.
    Everybody is going to have an opinion.
    Just do your thing to the best of your ability and have fun with it.

[SIGPIC]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/faderwave-radio[/SIGPIC]