Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using the loop function

Using the loop function

yo guys,

just wanted to start a little convo/discussion on how different people use the loop function in their sets, do u use it to build tension of a drop? what's your approach? what steps do you take?

lemme know

I used to do buildups with halving loops in Traktor... once done, the phrases rarely match when you exit the loop though. Other than that I might artificially make an intro a bit longer or loop the breakdown if it's too short for my liking with, say, 16 or 32 beat loops.

I know there's an easy workaround to this other than a hot cue but I'm too stupid to have figured it out by now.

I mostly use it when the tracks I'm mixing have short intros or outros. Sometimes as an effect but not very often.

I also use it for drops as you mentioned, just loop it and half it until the drop on the next deck. Usually the transition sounds good, and will likely lead into the next song well.

I usually use 4/8/16 beat loops on the fly to transition in between tracks or drop in a sample

The loop function can really get you out of a jam if you are not ready to mix in the next track yet, just loop the outgoing track until you have mixed in the new track and you're good to go.

Using the loop function

Loop is probably the feature I use the most. Many songs especially in hip hop have very short moments in between lyric so I can extend them with the loop function and basically make it into an instrumental which then allows me to beat match and transition. It’s a great tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    I mostly use it when the tracks I'm mixing have short intros or outros.
    This.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    The loop function can really get you out of a jam if you are not ready to mix in the next track yet, just loop the outgoing track until you have mixed in the new track and you're good to go.
    I do this too when I run out of time finding or mixing the next track. Just don't take too long or else your audience will wonder what's happening.

Loop out... 2 beat fade outs specific parts of the track as a switch point in the next track hits. Now we can mix at a lot more different places with in the track.

Loop intros... Mix tracks previously unmixable. And, for those mixable, guaranties your first down beat for putting it straight in the mix.

Dub echo... Nice beat doubler effect for long sections with in more Tech sounds. Add even more intensity to long build ups. VDJ has a hidden version of this than can be used to create really nice fade outs before a not mix, mix.