Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any affordable options to eliminate the XLR cables to my active loudspeakers?

Question Any affordable options to eliminate the XLR cables to my active loudspeakers?

I would like to eliminate the XLR cables on my Yahama DBR12's, I want to put them in different locations of my living room and plug them into the wall, but not have to run the XLR cables to them from my mixer. Anybody using some type of Bluetooth TX/RX modules to do this? I'm looking for affordable recommendations, affordable, meaning under 200 dollars. Does not have to be pro grade, I'm not a DJ, this is for my house, but not wanting junk either.

Thx

I looked some up on Amazon, but it looks like they are all for DMX lighting control, not for active loudspeakers.
    Last edited by John Hunt; 04-01-2018 at 12:37 PM.

You can use a bluetooth transmitter and receiver, but sound quality is likely to suffer.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-LATE.../dp/B077MXFJGQ
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Any affordable options to eliminate the XLR cables to my active loudspeakers?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hunt View Post
    I would like to eliminate the XLR cables on my Yahama DBR12's, I want to put them in different locations of my living room and plug them into the wall, but not have to run the XLR cables to them from my mixer. Anybody using some type of Bluetooth TX/RX modules to do this? I'm looking for affordable recommendations, affordable, meaning under 200 dollars. Does not have to be pro grade, I'm not a DJ, this is for my house, but not wanting junk either.

Thx
    You're gonna put 12", 800 Watt speakers in your LIVING ROOM???😄 How big of a living room do you have???😄 I've used Bluetooth at home to practice with my 12" speakers, and I can't really hear much difference at the volumes you would play at in a typical living room. The thing is, my speakers were Alto TS112W's with Bluetooth built in, and sync to each other. Finding a Bluetooth transmitter that will sync with more than one receiver will be the challenge. You'd be better off looking at a wireless microphone type of solution. You can sync two Bluetooth devices to a Mac, if that's the source of your audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluetooth is going to cut down your audio quality.. it could cut it down by a lot.. but if you get a bluetooth transmitter and receiver with a more up-to-date codec like aptX, it might be fine for you. But the bigger problem you have is latency. Latency = "delay between when the sound comes out of the mixer and when it comes out of the speaker". Bluetooth devices are usually pretty slow in this respect and when you add this to the distance you are adding between your speakers and your DJ gear, and this will be noticeable when you are listening in your headphone and the speakers at the same time. What makes it worse is that if you want no wires at all, you'll need two sets of transmitter and receiver.. and even if they're the same brand, it's possible that the latency might vary a little bit between them at times, which is even worse.

There are low latency digital links for pro audio, but they aren't $200. There are cheaper wireless units that aren't pro, that might be ok.. search for 'wireless IEM system'.. but still you prob won't be able to do it for $200.

So basically, you are better off running a cable.

^^^ What I thought as well. You might end up with the two speakers not being in sync with each other. That question has been asked a couple of times here, and the conclusion is that you may end up worse off. I don't think you need huge amounts of cable to connect speakers in a living room, and there are many ways to hide those including running them through walls...

Problem solved... https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless a bit more but it works well i use it for ceremonies and or lounge music in remote places.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

You could hard wire (if you have access to where the cable runs). This is a combined Cat5 110v outlet. Cat 5 cable can be easily wired into an XLR configuration.

You could try and find a used home theater system with wireless satellites and "re-engineer" the output section to fit your needs.

The biggest problem with bluetooth is going to be latency.
    Quality isn't bad these days, with Bluetooth 4.1 having a decent amount of bandwidth for shoving data around, but 50ms+ of latency is going to mess things up for you, even if the average bluetooth user doesn't mind.

VHF wireless systems, like the ones used for guitars, mics, and in-ear monitors, are where I'd start looking. Not gonna be cheap, though.

Chris