Thread: Mixing Too Much Mid

Mixing Too Much Mid

I noticed this evening during my practice session that I had the mid cranked the most; just a little more than half way on one or two of the tracks playing. It was frustrating at the time because I had too much 2-4 frequency, but some of the frequencies I needed were there. (vocals and ambient synth leads). Countering this dilemma with the filters seemed to help a bit. Perhaps I need to work more with them and the channel frequencies. I was just curious how you guys blend the mids. I'm holding back on the lows simply because I don't want to piss off the neighbors.

In general, I prefer to run the EQ flat most of the time. Once the incoming track is dominant, rarely do I turn the low, mid or high above 12:00. I also try to avoid playing the mids flat on both channels at the same time. I can get away with it occasionally, but most of the time it's just too much and sounds awful.

To get around it, just swap out the mids in the same way that you swap out the bass. Do the mids before the bass. When I bring the incoming track, I have the bass turned down near 8:00, and the mid turned down to about 10:00 or so depending on the track. Then at some point I'll swap out the mids but I'm always listening to make sure it sounds okay. Then I'll swap out the bass, hit the high-pass filter and gradually bring down the outgoing track.

That's a fairly generic, bread and butter way of mixing but it's served me well.

I appreciate the feedback. Using the filter changes the mixing game quite a bit.

I pretty much.. at least 90% of the time, play tracks straight-up.. NO EQ except when I am mixing. The only exception is when I have one track that was mastered weird or just not produced the same as the other tracks and it won't fit without a little help.. for example a slight bass boost or a slight cut of the highs if it's too bright. But this is rare and I never do more than a slight correction. If it sounds so bad that it won't fit without radical EQ correction then I just don't play the track.

When I'm mixing, I won't pull the mids totally out when I bring in the mids from the new track... for example let's say I'm bringing the mids in first on the new track.. I'll back off the mids on the old track just a little bit.. let's say 9-10:30.. depends on the mixer when I start to bring in the new track.. then through the mix I'll bring it down more. Of course this varies based on the track, but that's the general principle.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 03-29-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Last night's practice was killer. I think I've figured out my dilemma. Cutting the highs, using the filter, and keeping the bass pumping seems to equalize nicely. You're right. Some tracks just aren't worth playing if they sound wonky.