Thread: Starting to Dj

Starting to Dj

Hello everyone to my first post on this forum!
    I started to get interested in dj-ing a month ago and I would like some opinions about the setup I need.
    I mostly need help about a controler since I am new to it.
    The one that I found best suiting me is the Numark Mixtrack Pro.
    I know that it is really old controler but for my first one I dont want to spend much money on since I mostly gonna practice at home.
    If I buy one that has been used what do I need to look out for?
    Is there any other controler that good enough for starting that doesn't cost much because my budget is really low.
    Would appreciate any tip you have for me and I wish you a great day!

Welcome to DJF, Wector77y!

You'll be fine with practically any controller. The key is to practice every day, record your mixes, and listen back to them to identify areas to improve. Oh yes, and you'll need to save money for your next purchases.

Have fun!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

The Hercules DJ controller was also popular, so that could be another used one to look out for.

You'll need headphones & a sound source. (Powered speakers, a Hi-Fi, or a boombox.) If it's a boombox, make sure it has an "Aux" input.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

When I first started DJing, about four years ago, I bought an American Audio VMS 4.1. Simple enough for a beginner, but pretty much all the features you need, and built like a tank. It's sturdy and reliable for mobile gigs. After using the VMS 4.1 for about a year, I bought a used Pioneer DDJ-T1, because I was concerned about not having a backup controller. I thought I'd make the Pioneer my primary controller, and the VMS 4.1 my backup... Didn't turn out that way. While there are things about the Pioneer I really like, I still preferred the feel of the VMS 4.1, so continued to use it for all my events until recently.

Now I'm using Denon MC6000MK2's and plan to sell my VMS 4.1 and DDJ-T1. I found that it's pretty easy to move from one controller to another once you've used one for a while. Starting out with the VMS 4.1 turned out to be a good decision for me.

I know another DJ who was looking to buy the MixTrack Pro. They seem to be pretty nice controllers, and used ones on eBay are reasonably priced. Whatever you get, I wish you good luck.😊

I got the mixtrack pro platinum. It is great for my mobile gigs. Solid controller without bells and whistles, but it does the job. I like the digital readout on the platters - it is very useful when playing in dark spaces.

Thanks a lot for all advices. I didn't expect that many of them so soon. I have some speakers and pretty basic headphones but i think I can learn the basics with them. Last night I saw mixtrack pro 2 and 3 with money difference about 20-40 euros. Is the difference in controlers big enough to spend more money or no? Hope you have a great day!

I had the Numark NV II for about a year. It was a really good starter controller. Most of the basics are there included. I recently purchased a DDJ-1000 by Pioneer, and it is absolutely amazing. Best of luck to you

Tip 1--take care of your equipment so that you can get the best buck for your dollar once you sell it on eBay, etc. DJ equipment in today's world changes like smart-phones. It's always gonna be something better than what you had. After all the trial and error I went through with equipment, I've settled down back to what I originally started on 30 years ago. Two turntables and a mixer. Tip 2. QSC makes wonderful speakers!

@Wector77y - what's your budget?