Thread: If you had $2800 to spend on a Macbook what would you buy?

If you had $2800 to spend on a Macbook what would you buy?

I'm very confused on which Macbook I should buy. The newer ones seem to have issues working with Serato due to the USB type c and some issue with the touchbar. I looked into some 2014 refurbs that seem good spec wise but I'm wondering if its worth to buy something 4 years old.

I'll primarily be using it for dj'ing and music production (where I run quite a few VSTs sometimes)

I am Windows user and only need to upgrade because my increase in club gigs and the driver issues when running into a variety of setups.

Overall, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on an old refurb unit when I can purchase a newer model. Whatever I purchase will be my main music laptop.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321

Last November I purchased a late 2016 15" retina / touch bar / 500 gig SSD leftover from B&H for $2100 to replace my 2013 15" retina which served me reliably for 4 years. I was worried about everything being attached to USB C instead of using thunderbolt for display and hard drives and USB for controllers and sound cards to prevent bandwidth issues and I have to say i am extremely happy with how stable and fast this "new" machine is. I use VirtualDJ 8 software and connect to multiple controllers weekly depending on if i am at the club or on a mobile gig. This rotation includes an SX2, SZ, S9, CDJ 2000 NXS & NXS2 & SP1 (i use a powered USB hub to connect the CDJ's and SP1 to one USB C using the other 3 for power supply, external USB drive & HDMI video out adapter). The one thing i did not do was to update to 10.13. I left the original 10.12 on the machine. I am never in a hurry to update OSX. I would check around for a new 15" in box leftover. Don't get a 13" as they don't have the dedicated memory type video card. Maybe also try different software if you have issues with your current.
    Last edited by DJBrandonjames; 04-26-2018 at 09:52 AM.