Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EV ETX 18sp or QSC KW181

EV ETX 18sp or QSC KW181

I'm looking to buy some 18" subs. I have the QSC k12.2 tops and am on the fence about which subs to get. I've been all over the internet looking for information on the 2 subs. I haven't really found too much on the ETX subs. On paper the ETX look pretty good and are newer technology. I would be using the subs for live music as well as djing. I'm looking for the sub that would be suitable for both applications. As far as djing goes I play a variety of different genres of music.

I've listened to JBL, EKX and the QSCkw181 in person. I have yet to find a place that has an ETX I can demo. I did a side by side of the kw181 and the EKX and I thought the EKX was more musical than the QSC but not as loud. I have also read that the EKX and the ETX has limiting issues. I know the limit warning light comes on a little early but I've also read that the ETX actually limits a bit early too.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I called QSC today to ask them if they had any new 18" subs in development and they said they didn't. I was hoping that if they had some new 18" subs in development it might sway my decision and I would wait for a new release from them. I'm not really interested in deviating from these two subs. I'd really just like opinions regarding the ETX and the KW...Anyway....Thanks
    Last edited by Wetsalad; 03-15-2018 at 02:21 AM.

Thread moved, please remember to post in the correct area in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Wetsalad View Post
    I've listened to JBL, EKX and the QSCkw181 in person. I have yet to find a place that has an ETX I can demo. I did a side by side of the kw181 and the EKX and I thought the EKX was more musical than the QSC but not as loud. I have also read that the EKX and the ETX has limiting issues. I know the limit warning light comes on a little early but I've also read that the ETX actually limits a bit early too.
    This is a misunderstanding, these new EV subs have multi stage limiting which means you will see it active at relatively low levels but that doesn't mean the box is out of gas it just means the software is managing things. The KW181 is well known for getting loud with lots of bass drum thump and is a favorite of live sound providers, but I'm not surprised the EKX sounds more musical that is exactly my impression as well. The ETX18 goes even lower than the EKX18 and has more output so it could be the best of both worlds for you, but it is bigger than the other two as well.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

my bad.. new here

No worries, just letting people know there are dedicated areas for equipment, so threads about everything and anything don't pile up on the top forum...

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    This is a misunderstanding, these new EV subs have multi stage limiting which means you will see it active at relatively low levels but that doesn't mean the box is out of gas it just means the software is managing things. The KW181 is well known for getting loud with lots of bass drum thump and is a favorite of live sound providers, but I'm not surprised the EKX sounds more musical that is exactly my impression as well. The ETX18 goes even lower than the EKX18 and has more output so it could be the best of both worlds for you, but it is bigger than the other two as well.
    How do you think the ETX stands up to the kw for live sound?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wetsalad View Post
    How do you think the ETX stands up to the kw for live sound?
    It will do well there as well, that is what I meant as best of both worlds. Check out Arnoldo's review/comparison of the ETX18sp and the Yorkville LS801p below, just the fact that these two boxes are mentioned in the same sentence says it all, the LS801 is the king of boom and well known in DJ circles for getting stupid loud.. yes even louder than the QSC.

Comparison:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SJ12MsXBGM

Intro to the ETX18sp:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGzyz0aP
    Last edited by conanski; 03-15-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

The ETX is a great sub, I rate it above the Yorkville due to not only the touring grade build quality & features but mostly due to the over all sound quality while still being a heavy performer.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

I would of loved to have gotten my hands on a few etx18sps but my back and pocket disagreed with heading in that direction. I do own 4 ekx 18sps and they pack a mean punch at high levels and on the music setting. Club mode is much deeper but does limit earlier when cranked up.

The ETX18sp is a better performer in all aspects compared to the KW181 but you you pay for this in size and weight. I personally was debating the ETX15sp and KW181 and went with the ETX15sp. The QSC was louder but the ETX sounded more musical and was deeper.
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321