Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EV ETX 18sp or QSC KW181

Siroht, I felt the same way. I initially wanted 2 ETX-15P TOPS AND 2 ETX-18SP for my large gigs with 1 EKX-18SP and 1 or 2 EKX-12P to handle my small to mid-size gigs. But my back and pocket spoke to me too. I had bought 1 EKX-18SP and was deciding to buy 1 or 2 of the EKX12P with the ETX set up previously mentioned. I finally went with the 2 EXK-15P & 4 EKX-18SP set up (I also got 2 ELX200-10P recently to use for small gigs with 1 EKX-18P. I went with the 2-4 config because

1. It was scalable with 1, 2, 3, or 4 Subs
    2. Although you don't have the deepness of the ETX, you did get a theoretical 3 dB increase from 134 to 137 when stacking the subs on each other
    3. It wasn't practical to implement the cardiod mode with ETX/EKX mix.

I feel the ETX is a great subwoofer. You do get a lot for your money (now that the price has went down somewhat). I'm don't regret the decision I made. I'm happy with my EKX series. I agree with Siroht about cranking up when you have 4 EKX Subs. I use it in club mode but I turn down the db on both subs, usually to -12db and have my tops at -2db.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetsalad View Post
    I'm looking to buy some 18" subs. I have the QSC k12.2 tops and am on the fence about which subs to get. I've been all over the internet looking for information on the 2 subs. I haven't really found too much on the ETX subs. On paper the ETX look pretty good and are newer technology. I would be using the subs for live music as well as djing. I'm looking for the sub that would be suitable for both applications. As far as djing goes I play a variety of different genres of music.

I've listened to JBL, EKX and the QSCkw181 in person. I have yet to find a place that has an ETX I can demo. I did a side by side of the kw181 and the EKX and I thought the EKX was more musical than the QSC but not as loud. I have also read that the EKX and the ETX has limiting issues. I know the limit warning light comes on a little early but I've also read that the ETX actually limits a bit early too.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I called QSC today to ask them if they had any new 18" subs in development and they said they didn't. I was hoping that if they had some new 18" subs in development it might sway my decision and I would wait for a new release from them. I'm not really interested in deviating from these two subs. I'd really just like opinions regarding the ETX and the KW...Anyway....Thanks
    I've owned the EKX, rented the KW181, and listened to the ETX's.
    Budget was the biggest constraint for me, and the EKX gave the best bang for buck.

If you have the room and budget, get the ETX. It is a beast.
    Mobile DJ and Sound
    My Gear: Traktor S4 - Allen & Heath Xone 42 - RCF Art 312A - EV EKX 18SP