Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl DJ'ing: tips for playing from a cue point?

Quote Originally Posted by mixomatosis View Post
    I find myself struggling with making a chop between tunes when the incoming tune is best started off of a hard cue point. What happens is that as I hold the record at the cue point and let it go at the transition, one can still hear its acceleration.

I've been trying to disguise it by letting the record go and fading it in and also by giving it a mild push forward. But I wonder if you guys have other tips to make an abrupt starts on vinyl sound good. Granted it will never sound like when someone presses the cue button on a CDJ.
    If memory serves me right, you don't just lift your hand and let it go. You will hear the acceleration every time if you do.

You're supposed to do a push-release. With good slip mats it should grab the record and go.

Practice practice practice. Unless you are slamming in the first few beats of a track it's better to beat match and slam a record already in sync. It sounds flawless because it is. There isn't anything technically wrong with what you are doing but if you want to master it the best advice I can give you is learn at least the basics of scratching. You'll learn a tremendous amount or record control.
    Just don't get frustrated. Working with vinyl took me years to master.

Lots of good replies here. Nice community building.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMore View Post
    I know it might sound gross, but lick your fingers (or use a small glass of water, whatever) a bit to get better grip on the record and see if that helps you with the cut. Honestly your muscle memory could just take more time to develop the skill of releasing the records at the right time.
    I used to get spots on my tongue from too much finger licking but it was the only way to get that grip.

What program are you using? I use Virtual DJ software; not really familiar with the other programs anyways what I would do is scratch the song in so that you are already in motion when you let go of the record; practice this, you will get the feel for it. Another option is to start the mix 4 or 8 beats before the point you want to mix which gives you a little while to have the beats match then cross fade quickly when the mix hits the place you want. *you can set another cue point earlier. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by South Rakkas Crew; 05-23-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by South Rakkas Crew View Post
    What program are you using? I use Virtual DJ software; not really familiar with the other programs anyways [...]

It's a good thing the thread title says Vinyl DJing tips. Why do you have this urge of mentioning VDJ in every single one of your posts anyway...

first beatmatch than find the cue point, scratch it on the beat with a closed channel, than when you let go decide if its on the right beat, practice this a lot and later you find out you will hit the right spot.
    you need directdrive turntables and a little practice, thats all

I think it can sound as sharp as pressing the cue button on a cdj; like massie said, 'scratch' it in. Do it a few times with the rhythm to get the correct push-force of your scratch, and there you go.