Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats a good DAW these days for doing remixes ?

whats a good DAW these days for doing remixes ?

i have a copy of cubase LE that i baught nearly 20 years ago, which i have been transferring from computer to computer over the years, but you know what? i dont use it very often, and im trying to enable the licence for it here on my new computer, and they have made the licence process over-complicated to the point where i cant be bothered and navigating their website is the dryest most impersonal experience possible.

and besides i would not mind using something else, maybe a bit more intuitive and inspiring with some new synths and stuff.

mostly i would be doing re-drums, like putting drum beats over music that could do with a bit of a kick. or creating intros / outtros. i DJ in video, so video function would need to be able to load video, even if only to take the audio from it.
    it doesnt have to have any fancy video export functions, i already have adobe premiere to do video edits
    i dont need it to have midi functions apart from taking input from my midi keyboard

im looking for something with very good quality sound, very intuitive with not too much learning curve and not too expensive. im not a fan of ableton (though could be talked into it), im thinking maybe FL studio but iv no idea what these programs are like these days.

any suggestions?

i use windows
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 03-10-2018 at 12:53 PM.

I'd use cubase honestly. Fl studio is not great for working with audio.
    Ableton is but you said you don't care for it. Neither do I.

You could look at studio one.

Honestly though. I'd upgrade to cubase artist. It gives you almost everything pro does and working with audio is a breeze. Best of all you're already pretty familiar with it.
    There is a slight learning curve to cubase 9.5 over previous versions but after a day I'm back to making music getting more and more familiar every day.

All daws are good. I say stay with what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    I'd use cubase honestly. Fl studio is not great for working with audio.
    Ableton is but you said you don't care for it. Neither do I.

You could look at studio one.

Honestly though. I'd upgrade to cubase artist. It gives you almost everything pro does and working with audio is a breeze. Best of all you're already pretty familiar with it.
    There is a slight learning curve to cubase 9.5 over previous versions but after a day I'm back to making music getting more and more familiar every day.

All daws are good. I say stay with what you know.
    yea thats good advice i guess.

i downloaded FL studio and it was quite hard to figure out, it turned out to be a lot easier to just sort out the licence on my cubase LOL
    and im happy not having to figure out any new software, already did 3 songs tonight

what does artist give you that LE doesnt have?
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 03-10-2018 at 09:13 PM.

I use Logic pro and Pro tools, it works and it's fairly straightforward to use. I also use Waveburner and Soundforge if I want to go surgical with my samples editing. In your case it's obvious you're better off sticking to cubase. Unless you're willing to learn and adapt to new software.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    yea thats good advice i guess.

i downloaded FL studio and it was quite hard to figure out, it turned out to be a lot easier to just sort out the licence on my cubase LOL
    and im happy not having to figure out any new software, already did 3 songs tonight

what does artist give you that LE doesnt have?
    If what you have is doing everything you want there is no need to upgrade to artist at all. The ONLY time you want to buy more is if you can't do what you want with what you have. Being limited has a way of boosting creativity while having everything can be quite overwhelming.

You can go to Steinbergs web site.

Type in Google cubase pro vs cubase artist and it will compare all 3 versions side by side and show you exactly what you have and don't have.

For remix work... Cubase. Straight up electronic artistry creativity, probably Ableton. FL studio is fast catching Cubase, almost took over is some aspects but the latest 9.5 addressed those issues.

+1 for Ableton..

If you're not into synths you could just get a sample library with different loops and use Traktor remix decks to do stuff on the fly. For studio work Steinberg came out with a software called Sequel which seemed ok for beginners because of it's simplicity..

Then there's Reason but I didn't personally like the GUI. (edit: and I think it didn't have an import function for audio samples)

I started on Sony Acid pro many MANY years ago and I still use it. I keep getting emails to upgrade, but ever since Sony sold all the music and video software to Magix I'm a scared.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    I'll make a beat in Maschine mk3 and then export to acid pro, then build my track from there, or just use Maschine, The sample editor is GREAT.
    (((DJF member since 06')))

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    Sony sold all the music and video software to Magix I'm a scared.

I used Magix for about 12 minutes then returned it to the shop and asked for my money back.

I use FL Studio. It is great. I have not really tried any other DAWS, so I am uninformed, but I do not feel like there is anything I want to do but can't.