Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips

Any tips

I'm about to do my first ever set which is both online and FM radio.
    Does anyone have any tips they can give me?

Do you pre-record or mix live? I have the choice...

Cheers,

Ewan

Mix it live.

I was thinking exact same thing, is it normal to loop 16 or 32 beats when talking then returning to a mix when you’re finished talking?

Sure. Just find a part of the song with little to no drums and absolutely not over a vocal.

I'm mildly curious as to what kind of technology you're using for the broadcast.. FM radio? I've been looking at some antennas and DIY kits for a transmitter and sourced a few potential candidates. I was thinking something like 500W for starters which would cover roughly a 10km radius according to the specs (I used to deal with a lot of radio stuff in the military)

But sorry for the off-topic.. I can't really give any helpful advice, except that video streaming has become very popular these days which in turn calls for mixing live, although it uses more bandwidth. If you have a webcam I wouldn't recommend staring into it during the broadcast. For online stuff a chat room is always a bonus but the services that provide such luxury can be either dodgy or unprofessional, unless you're really savvy with HTML and set up an Apache server or something.

Stickam was a very good service with the chat rooms and broadcast archiving back in the day, now there's Youtube which has pretty much the same feature set. I have no experience using Facebook Live but I've seen some people use it. Although I believe you have the technical stuff sorted out already.

EDIT : as for the staring bit I've seen they use a tennis ball when shooting movie scenes to keep the actor/actress focused on something other than the camera or the set which could work when doing a live stream.

EDIT 2 : and I do know that radio/telecommunication networks are very strictly regulated.. one would need training and a license, even for something as simple as maritime VHF but you probably have that sorted out too.

I use OBS to broadcast via Chew.tv for all my shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    I use OBS to broadcast via Chew.tv for all my shows.
    OBS is a fine piece of software... much better than the old method of streaming to a server using Adobe Flash Media Encoder which had a Java based GUI (edit : I think it still has) to my understanding. Very cumbersome on older machines (and especially on a laptop) but I guess it was the only way to stream back then, Youtube still supports it though. There was a way to stream directly to Stickam without the damn encoder but it had more controls over what you were doing.

EDIT : and OBS lets you tailor the stream with multiple scenes, texts and whatnot..

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    OBS is a fine piece of software... OBS lets you tailor the stream with multiple scenes, texts and whatnot..
    Yea, I have two cameras and an audio input. Before I found OBS, I was recording 2 cams separately and audio as well. The audio quality is good enough for streaming, but I have to put the quality audio so I can post on my site.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    Yea, I have two cameras and an audio input. Before I found OBS, I was recording 2 cams separately and audio as well. The audio quality is good enough for streaming, but I have to put the quality audio so I can post on my site.
    I've been lately thinking of getting a server for the purpose of streaming.. I think it wouldn't be more than an out-file from OBS and a few lines of HTML code, the problem comes with the bandwidth really.

EDIT : and I would be tempted to host all kinds of other stuff on it

I've been wanting to try OBS.. I downloaded the Windows installer the other day and got a virus warning from Windows defender.. so of course I didn't run the installer until I can look into it. Anyone else have this experience?