Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need computer recommendations

I just bought an Mbox 2 for a ridiculous price, bundled with Protools.... That should be the next thing you should purchase, if you feel like that is needed of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I just bought an Mbox 2 for a ridiculous price, bundled with Protools.... That should be the next thing you should purchase, if you feel like that is needed of course...
    I've already purchased an m audio c series 2x2m.

It came with a bunch of software , mid in and out and 2 channels in and out. Works great and I love the huge volume knob.
    My computer had no real audio outs so I needed something asap and it was $99. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    I found a 2 year old dell with an i5 , 16gb ram and 500gb hard drive with win10 installed for $200. I went ahead and bought that. If I need to upgrade it I have a good bit of room. Figured I couldn't beat the price.
    Daym son! That's a great deal! As was mentioned, throw in a 200+ GB SSD (for Windows and apps) and you'll be set! I'd keep the 500GB HDD for samples and data since that won't benefit from an SSD.

Congrats!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Daym son! That's a great deal! As was mentioned, throw in a 200+ GB SSD (for Windows and apps) and you'll be set! I'd keep the 500GB HDD for samples and data since that won't benefit from an SSD.

Congrats!
    I've already got a 1tb external that all my komplete 11 content is stored to.
    I loaded up like 30 different plugins.
    Kontact
    Massive
    Fm8
    Battery
    Absinthe

You get the picture.

At max I was using 32 percent of the cpu and the task manager say a I was using about 4 of the 16 available gigs of ram.

Also piled on a bunch of effects.

Seems ok. It was freaking at first but I forgot fl studio opens with a limiter on the master. Once I turned that off all good.

I need to streamline , excuse me I want to stream line the computer for audio. Haven't done that in about 8 years. I'll need to watch some videos.

I think 16Gb is a bit of an overkill.. although RAM is fairly cheap these days as well as storage space.

If I were you I'd look into a setup that has a 2GHz+ quad core (I remember reading somewhere that 2,4-2,8GHz dual/quad cores provide the optimal performance, anything above that doesn't really provide anything useful), 4 or 8Gb of RAM and a minimum of 160-200GB HD space (7200rpm, unless you insist on using SSDs; I have no experience with them in audio/production use)

SSD's, EEPROM and similar emerging storage technologies can be unreliable and cause problems in the long run no matter how non-volatile they're marketed as so I wouldn't just yet put my money on them.. they may be ok with laptops and stuff where a lot of backups are made regularly.

EDIT : As for manufacturers I'd go for Intel unless you plan on gaming.. the AMD's were already falling behind in benchmarking some odd 10 years ago.

My cpu is an i5 quad core with 4 virtual cores at 3.3 ghz ore turbo though actually performance shows 3.7ghz.