Thread: Camera Recommendations for recording clips for demo vid

Camera Recommendations for recording clips for demo vid

Hey guys,

I've seen some pretty stellar vids - and not super professional huge venues, but regular mobile gigs - where it appears the recorder is walking around the crowd recording and the picture is fantastic even under low light and the camera is stupid-stable - like beyond what you could normally do with your hand.

I know there was a product out there at least for cell phones to keep it rock steady while filming and moving - it was some external apparatus but now don't remember what it was called.

Looking for recommendations on cameras and stability tools so I can record vids like I've seen. I don't care about audio because I won't be using the audio from the vids anyway. Thanks!

You are looking for a Stedicam type device.
    A newer, quality smart phone should be sufficient.

There is not a cell phone in existence that does video well with low light. You'll need a dedicated camera that can do a high ISO without becoming too grainy, combined with a lens with a large aperture. Neither are cheap!

A good light kit can do the trick as well.

Clean low light performance on a budget is done best with a dslr and fast aperture lens (F1.8). You also ideally want some sort of accessory mount to keep the camera steady, a gimbal works well at a low price