Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SONY MDR-7506 Headphones / Genuine vs Counterfeit

SONY MDR-7506 Headphones / Genuine vs Counterfeit

I made the mistake of purchasing Sony headphone from Ebay without first researching the seller feedback. I've never had any issues buying off Ebay, so I just assumed that everything would go as it normally has. After 5 days of no update to the UPS tracking, I figured something might be wrong. I checked his feedback. Previous customers had complained about receiving replica watches and other items from this guy.

Low and behold, the guy sent me fake Sony headphones. I was so mad I drove right down to Guitar Center and bought a genuine pair for $108. That's $20 more than what some guys are selling them for on Ebay.

The seller has agreed to refund me the full amount + shipping to send them back to him. But before I do this, I thought that I should take some pictures of the genuine headphones and compare them to the counterfeit so you can see the difference. Although there are already a couple comparisons on the internet, I figured it wouldn't hurt to add another.

There is no need to look at the actual headphones themselves. The box tells you everything you need to know. If however you do not have the box, you can test the impedance with a multimeter. The genuine 7506 will have an impedance at 63 ohms. The counterfeit will be significantly higher than this. I'd say above 65 and you've got a counterfeit. If this is not correct, please let me know and I will edit the post.

I won't bother explaining the actual differences because you can see it for yourself. However, do note that on the front of the package, the blue 5mm box border on the genuine is not present in the replica. Also, the trademark and date is in the wrong position on the back of the box.

Front, bottom of Genuine

Front, bottom of Counterfeit

Front, top of Genuine

Front, top of Counterfeit

Left side of Genuine

Left side of Counterfeit

Bottom of Genuine

Bottom of Counterfeit
    Last edited by steveryan; 02-21-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Right Side of Genuine

Right Side of Counterfeit

Backside of Genuine

Backside of Counterfeit

Trademark, Year and Sony Corporation on Genuine

Sony Corporation, Trademark and Year on Counterfeit

Blue, 5mm box border on Front of Genuine

No Box Border on Front of Counterfeit
    Last edited by steveryan; 02-21-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post

The seller has agreed to refund me the full amount + shipping to send them back to him. But before I do this,
    Raise a dispute with ebay and flag the seller. If you send the headphones back first, then you have nothing to prove and can't leave feedback.

Then when you send them back, make it recorded delivery or he may pretend he never received them, sells them again to someone else and doubles profit while you're stuffed.

I speak French.

"eteridu complement" is 100% gibberish, and all the accents are missing on all other words. Part of the jack plug description is also missing.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-22-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I speak French.

"eteridu complement" is 100% gibberish, and all the accents are missing on all other words. Part of the jack plug description is also missing.
    I was going to say, it's the French part that's a dead giveaway. If the words/letters don't have any accent signs anywhere, it's fake.

Thanks for sharing useful & important info steveryan! +Repped

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Raise a dispute with ebay and flag the seller. If you send the headphones back first, then you have nothing to prove and can't leave feedback.

Then when you send them back, make it recorded delivery or he may pretend he never received them, sells them again to someone else and doubles profit while you're stuffed.

I speak French.

I don't think that Ebay will let me mail the headphones to them for an authenticity inspection. I already reported the seller, so I'm waiting to hear back. The return process is requiring me to send them back by February 28th, which I believe means that it just needs to be in the mail by that date...not in his hands.

The seller is now also playing games with me. He says that the return label system on Ebay is not working right now. "Please send me the shipping receipt and I will reimburse you for it via PayPal." Such a jackoff....

I knew there was going to be spelling errors on the back of the box. There's no way they could get all that correct...

Look at the recycling logo on the back of the box also. It's way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Baller95 View Post
    I was going to say, it's the French part that's a dead giveaway. If the words/letters don't have any accent signs anywhere, it's fake.

Thanks for sharing useful & important info steveryan! +Repped
    Thanks for the rep. I hope the post prevents someone from getting a fake.

I just checked my Ebay messages. The seller has sent me $8 via PayPal to cover the shipping. Hopefully, that will be enough including tracking.

GREAT post. Counterfeits have truly arrived. That would be hard to determine as counterfeit from an online posting. Rep
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Did you officially request return on ebay? Or just send the guy messages? If you didn't actually request return he could in theory not refund you when he gets them back. Make sure you're doing it proper using the eBay return system.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Did you officially request return on ebay? Or just send the guy messages? If you didn't actually request return he could in theory not refund you when he gets them back. Make sure you're doing it proper using the eBay return system.
    I requested the return via Ebay and reported his account as selling counterfeits. I haven't heard back about the counterfeit claim, but the return process is good to go.

Another thing I found out was, accounts lying about their location.

I have had a couple of problems with cheap tat bought from a self proclaimed UK based account, then you discover it's just cheap rubbish from China posted through a local front. All in I never lost any money over it, but certainly time and having had to threaten sellers on a couple of occasions... It became obvious that Ebay is not too interested in chasing counterfeiters and sellers that don't have clearance to sell imported goods, including health and safety.