Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember when DJs were playing a song a minute?

Remember when DJs were playing a song a minute?

Ten years back when digital DJing got going I remember at the bars DJs would be playing a song a minute. Maybe more if you count mashups as more than one. It was fun at first when only the DJs crazy enough to bother were the ones doing it but it got old pretty quick... at which time I stopped going to party bars.

Is this still a thing? I feel like if anyone kept up the tradition the quality could have really grown.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

ADD mixing? Yeah, it's still a thing lol.

I went to a local club last weekend and they were doing this with trap and mumble rap. I found the disco/soul room immediately.

You talking about top 40 kinda stuff or any genre?

I still do it, depends how I'm feeling and how the night is going and the venue I'm at. I really enjoy mixing a track every minute or every 30 seconds, but it's not about what I enjoy, it's about the client.

I just did a progressive mix with 15 songs spanning an hour and 45 minutes LOL

Why not let the songs breathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Achmiel View Post
    I just did a progressive mix with 15 songs spanning an hour and 45 minutes LOL

Why not let the songs breathe?
    It depends on your audience. When you’re djing to a live crowd and playing out every song it can get really stale for the dance floor. If the crowd is with you and locked in then you can shuffle through tracks quicker. At the places I play there are a variety of people and I want everyone to have a good time so I play several genres over the course of the night.

Werd. I usually play genre specific events/nights, but try to play a few more tracks than I normally would vs. a studio mix

This normally works for me with younger crowds and current hip hop. You have ensure that you keep the energy up and your phrasing is spot on. If the song has some key bars that are popular than I let the song breathe through them before I mix out.

I’ve found quick mixing to be annoying for older crowds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play as much as the song as possible....mix in at the chunk n let it rock till' the end.