Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm at work and want to throw down an epic set......

So I'm at work and want to throw down an epic set......

... But when I finally get home I look at my decks and think, "Eh, maybe later" and end up not playing until the weekend. Happens everyday.

That is all.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

I suggest just spinning to make a quick and dirty 10m mix. Enough for at least 3 good tracks with some nice transitions. Nothing too taxing.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

You should bring your decks to work, that's what I do

Quote Originally Posted by JackStalk View Post
    You should bring your decks to work, that's what I do
    There's a Traktor app for smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    There's a Traktor app for smartphones.
    I was thinking more like DJing for a living like me

Thx for the suggestions everyone

I have the EDJing app for my phone, but it's not the same as I spin primarily vinyl. It's good for a quick mix on the way home on the train however, just not as satisfying.

I'd love to start playing out again, but the business side of it just turns me off - once money gets involved it all turns to shit, so that's why I mainly keep it as a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    ... But when I finally get home I look at my decks and think, "Eh, maybe later" and end up not playing until the weekend. Happens everyday.

That is all.
    I remember when buying new tracks was enough for me to want to play for hours but after so many years, it starts to die down. I tried what KLH mentioned but that only helps for a bit. If it stays a hobby, eventually you find yourself going weeks without mixing.

Playing to a crowd, live or virtually, brings back that motivation/drive to mix, it did for me. Playing on Faderwave was as fun as playing to a live crowd (most of the time). You sound try getting an online radio spot somewhere.
    Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 02-14-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post

That is all.
    I know exactly what you re talking about, i ve got the same problem sometimes,
    but often i overcome myself and just pick a vinyl i haven t played for years and which reminds me of former days/partys and suddenly i really get into the mood!
    test it!
    ...but to overcome oneself, get behind the decks and play that first track is probably the hard thing i know..

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    I remember when buying new tracks was enough for me to want to play for hours but after so many years, it starts to die down. I tried what KLH mentioned but that only helps for a bit. If it stays a hobby, eventually you find yourself going weeks without mixing.

Playing to a crowd, live or virtually, brings back that motivation/drive to mix, it did for me. Playing on Faderwave was as fun as playing to a live crowd (most of the time). You sound try getting an online radio spot somewhere.
    Buying new tracks certainly helps. I just did a bit of record shopping last week and I was mixing them all weekend. And it's usually on the weekends I play for about an hour or so on average. It's rare for me to go any more than 2 weeks without touching my decks.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Phono View Post
    I know exactly what you re talking about, i ve got the same problem sometimes,
    but often i overcome myself and just pick a vinyl i haven t played for years and which reminds me of former days/partys and suddenly i really get into the mood!
    test it!
    ...but to overcome oneself, get behind the decks and play that first track is probably the hard thing i know..
    I like this idea as I do something similar. I just close my eyes, reach into a crate and whatever I pull out I play.

I think at the end of the day I'm just too tired. I have an hour and a half commute home and the first thing I do when I get in is cook dinner, followed by whatever chores need doing. By the time I'm finished, the most I want to do is plop my ass on the couch and maybe play some Destiny if my wife and son arn't around.

Def. been there! I try and watch a DJ set on Youtube to help me get hyped again. Kinda like how when we used to skateboard and we'd watch skate vids to get us hyped on skating...