Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People who make one post...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I just ran some quick numbers. Since last year, there are about 650 members that have joined and have posted at least once. About half of those have posted more than once.

DJF is a ****** place. Even so, it took me about 6 months to warm up and start joining in because I was intimidated with all the others who had vastly more experience than I did. Turned out that I shouldn't have been intimidated because every DJ starts somewhere. I was lucky to find DJF as it helped me tremendously. I'm not sure if I would have been so open to posting if I thought there could be a downside.
    How deep can you go with the statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    Steve, let me see if I can help you. Nothing I say here should be taken as rude. We appreciate any & all ideas to help make the forum better. Of course not every idea &/or suggestion is going to be accepted for various reasons. We (the admins) try to look at every suggestion & see how it will affect... positively, negatively, or neutrally the forum & its members ...... over all.

Now firstly, understand that this forum is first, a "help forum" for DJs, potential DJs or the general public to come here & ask DJ related questions.
    Secondly, this is not a social platform. While we try to build & encourage a friendly platform, where each member should be able to be himself & provide only as much personal information about himself as he feels comfortable doing. Again, this is a help forum, not a social forum.

I completely understand your point where people introduce themselves but we will not force anyone to give information about themselves before posting. Additionally, not every person needs to introduce himself. Its sometimes irrelevant. Some members are not DJ related but do have a question about the industry. We feel that every question is important & should be addressed. If grandma wants to by little Johnny a mixer for Christmas/birthday, its irrelevant for grandma to post in introductions prior to posting her question(s) for assistance. Our first & primary objective here is to help grandma make the best choice she can, based on the info we provide.
    Just recently, a new member posted that he is not a DJ nor does he have an interest in DJing but he is employed by a school system & he was asked to DJ the school prom. He asked about speakers. Its irrelevant that he post in introductions prior to being helped, which is our primary focus here.... to help & assist with questions & answers concerning the DJ industry.
    This gentleman nor grandma, will ever be back & will not pursue an active membership here, does not need to introduce himself, but still deserves to have his questions respected & addressed.

As far a s rules go, we try to be lenient & I dont say much because again, I try to go along with the majority... whats in the best interest of the forum, but foul language is a peeve of mine. While we are lenient, & I go along with the program, I wont tolerate continual & constant foul/bad language. Everyone is welcome here including children & ladies. I dont appreciate bad language in front of either. Just so you know......

http://www.djforums.com/forums/faq.php

"#2 - Keep cursing, swearing, profanity, or vulgar language to a minimum in ALL parts of the forums. People of all ages, races, and lifestyles are welcome on DJF, so please be respectful when posting. Habitual vulgar language will lead to a warning, infraction, time out, or banning. DJF will not tolerate profanity or indications of profanity in thread titles. This includes partial words with characters such as @#$%&* in them."

Just FYI.......
    I understand all this, yet I understand the point the OP is making too: a lot of 1st thread posts seem to get dumped here like a net for us in the 'community' to engage in with no acknowledgement back. It makes me think twice about expressing myself, yet with people here part of the community, even if they just post a few times with relevant stuff, I feel free to talk about things that are of use to the community.

Perhaps have a system where people are directed to the *'Questions' threads, as personally I don't like 'introducing' myself on forums as I'm quite awkward.

you could even go so far as to limit the replyers on 1st questions, making sure that information specifically given as advice is coming from recognised and tested sources...maybe that's just me being extreme...
    Last edited by dlove; 09-26-2018 at 03:05 AM.

You have a point there.

Lately I'm looking at that prejudiced first post guy ranting about not enough black DJs. He laid the race card on the table and never even bothered to come back.

What I find rude sometimes, is first post people turning up without a hello, please or thanks, posting about a specific problem, or "please find the name of this song", as if the community here is to be treated like a free problem solving and/or catering service. When in most cases it is a clear cut case of RTFM.

Then people solve the problem and don't even get thanked for their time.

It's not an issue if a member doesn't go through the introduction, as it is not a requirement, but sometimes being polite makes the difference between me feeling like helping that person or not. If there isn't any form of courtesy going on, then I'm not bothering.

Perhaps have a system where people are directed to the *'Questions' threads, as personally I don't like 'introducing' myself on forums as I'm quite awkward.
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...Thread!/page24

There is such a thread, you're making me think maybe I should redirect all impolite requests to that specific thread.
    Last edited by Manu; 09-26-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mix4fix View Post
    How deep can you go with the statistics?
    I missed this quest, M4F. I'll PM you.

Answering the question... not too deep.

EDIT: Um... you're banned so I guess I won't be reaching out.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    I understand all this, yet I understand the point the OP is making too...
    As do I, but is this really a problem or just an annoyance? IMHO, it's the latter.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I never join a forum with the intention of not participating, otherwise what's the point? However, I don't have a problem with people who only post once or a few times. Indeed I prefer that to someone who repeats the same (or similar) questions or opinions again and again. YMMV

You could setup a usergroup system to require minimum post count to create threads for all new accounts, say about 5 or just 2, then promote to "normal" user access.

Similar to what you have for Mix/Track submission threads.

I never introduce myself on forums but contribute a bit to the ones I visit. Mainly because I feel that no body cares so I don't bother saying "hello, my name is Mitch and I like bourbons!" With the rest of it!!!

In some forums i often wonder if the post is real... or bots learning interactions... Sales bot and trigger question to deliberately create debate about certain products etc etc!!!

agree with all of the above

perhaps have the questions section set for new users to go through a moderation system; once the question is approved at 'beginners' 'intermediate' 'advanced', the new user can make thread starters? I dunno, it's a tricky one, and as KLH says, it's an irritation rather than a major problem; it's probably easier to delete/move ghost posts