Thread: is there anywhere definitive to check music charts anymore?

is there anywhere definitive to check music charts anymore?

the industry seems to have changed a lot

like, back in the day i think it was pretty simple , the highest weekly sales dictated the charts

but nowdays im not sure where to even look to see the charts for any given week, or how exactly they are calculated.
    for example, i play a lot of spanish music, but depending on where i look i can get very different idea what the top 20 tunes actually are on a given week, i presume this is now also the case for any country.
    for example a girl approached me while i was DJing last night to see if i had a particular song, and she pulled up some 'top charts' list on her phone, i noticed the charts were different to what i had checked earlier that day online, her one had some new songs but also were missing some of the new ones .
    then there are itunes top 40, spotify top 40, shazam top 40 and on and on.....
    one thing i have noticed too is that some websites seem to show quite old songs still at a very high position, perhaps this is due to a different way of calculating, for example, if youtube views were a factor, then people might still be listening a lot to a song which was released a year or 2 ago, therefore it would still have a high position in the charts, this would mark an interesting change i think , maybe even for the better because it is less about that quick sale and more about longevity

any thoughts?

Kids always pull out some sort of reference to get their request played. "everyone will dance if you play this because it's popular look it's in the charts"

Meanwhile artists such as Bieber and Taylor swift buy plays on soundcloud, youtube, etc... And nobody requested Rebecca Black Friday ever, even if that went through the roof in terms of plays. Numbers do not reflect an artist or material these days, hence why I stopped looking at charts a long time ago.

The market and scene have largely shifted toward streaming in recent years. I dig through YouTube trending, billboard, Spotify, Shazam, and iTunes usually in that order. People are listening to a wider variety of music than ever and because of that it’s totally okay if you don’t have their song request. I get some really underground requests lately that I’ve never seen or heard of anywhere. There are so many “top charts” now that I just stick with the more mainstream lists. If several people request the same obscure track over a period of a few weeks then I’ll definitely pick it up because I know it’s on the rise. Just because a song isn’t on a chart doesn’t mean it isn’t absolute fire.

I still rely on

Billboard for Pop: https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

and Kix Brooks (Brooks & Dunn) for Country: http://www.kixbrooksradio.com/
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I read a study somewhere that it's German, UK and the US charts and in that ascending order (then of course there's Asia and stuff but I'm not too familiar with them)

EDIT : that's if you want to make a radio hit... the new stuff may reside somewhere else or in the lower/regional charts and radio stations.

The highest weekly sales were just as bad. Have a read up on how pushers used to get things scanned, not scanned. Only certain stores counted etc. Long time ago i read about it so can't remember the specifics but still!!!

I check UK Official, Shazam, Spotify, Beatport, BBC & Capital Playlist just in case something I've missed. Cool Cuts chart too. I don't check the UPFRONT and DJ POP chart as i'll already have every song on it due to being a contributor.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 02-10-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    Kix Brooks (Brooks & Dunn) for Country
    FYI - That list is actually the shortened Billboard Country Airplay chart. If you use the Billboard chart, you'll get an extra twenty tracks (from 41-60).

I have no idea why I took 5 minutes to figure this out.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

As a rule, I dont worry about anything outside of the top 10 anyway. Sometimes a song will enter the charts in the 20's & become a hot song through out the week & someone will ask for it, but outside of the top 10 or certainly above the 20's, its not so popular that I can't play something more popular. I mean, I only get about 1 - 2 hours of good dance time anyway which only equals to about 18 songs per hr generally speaking, so normally 35 - 40 songs... I think I am safe to focus on music that made it into the top 10 & pass on the rest until, or IF it ever makes it to that popularity.

Just FYI though, I do download the top 20 so I'll have them now & in the future. I dont worry about buying anything 21 or above.

Just my 2 cents......
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php