Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any new trends from a Mobile DJ point of view?

Any new trends from a Mobile DJ point of view?

It's 2018 and I'm wondering if there are any trends that mobile DJs notice?

I've noticed that controllers are now the standard - over CDJs and TTs. I've also seen more VJing with monitors as opposed to lights.

What have you seen?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Biggest thing although not seeing it personally is the fact people are now using Apple music/spotify etc and offline'ing music or thanks to some countries with cheap cellular data they are just a full on streaming approach.

Iam certainly not in a country or area where I even get basic 2G cell phone reception let alone have the chance of you-tubing or buying a quick song from iTunes at the last minute. But more and more guests are disappointed that something I don't have their request. I always say if you have your phone or you can get it we can plug in but then again as most devices shy away from a standard headphone jacks for wireless connectivity and no one wanting to lug adapters around I think to myself. Well you wither want a DJ that looks after the music or you hire a PA system and do it yourself. Either way We are busy and not looking at slowing down even though I would have thought an iPad with an app like Deejay and away even thoe most beginner goes but it comes back to people wanting a service. As I said before Iam happy to move over to a controller but iam interested in about a dozen dis in my area teenagers finishing high school getting into this start with a controller and wanting the cdjs. Not that i have seen anyone use a CD in one but they like the movement. Iam the same never had a CD ever in mine but like a pair of slippers I feel comfortable with my setup. The controllers are really getting there but I'm still happy with the exercise of lugging my coffin.

Have been asked more and more about VDJ and hey Iam all for it but really prefer to still have fun with lights etc. Ill keep going until I can no longer go. I would think a robot will replace me next. The Party-tron 5000 Even though an iPod/pa/and lights all in one systems exist you can just see a cheery face like the Sony Aibo that makes the interaction more interesting.

Personally I would love to see NI do more with Tractor. Lets be honest what can't it do but somehow it seems like something magical is around the corner where mixing won't be surfing through playlists but a colourful camelot wheel that will auto start matching songs that could sonically go together in mixes we may not have ever thought possible. I don't want to say AN AUTO-MIX GENIUS or then what will really become of us. But something that seamlessly does magical things with temp and key changes. Who knows. great question though snaps to 3.am eternal. Oh wait thats KLF not KLH sorry. AND with the recent resurgence in Records in my case will we see more OLD School approaches with turntables. As the the re-release of the Technics 12 is released some love to see the show-person-ship.
    OPOAT

I haven't noticed an uptick in VJing. I get asked occasionally about it, but I always have. I get a couple of requests a year. No more today than previous years.

What I am noticing.... more outside weddings. I am seeing probably 2/3 of the events are outside. Even in August @ 100 degrees outside & in January when its below freezing. I don't get it..... I just tell them I am booked & either wait on an inside event or just stay home & enjoy my weekend off to do what I want to do. Thank goodness I dont do this for a living.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I got a request if I could do a silent party......I know that "silent parties" have had a sort of a following for certain clubs in my area, but I can't imagine a mobile DJ carrying around 300 sets of headphones, LOL!

Also, hiring DJ's for a funeral repass is pretty hot in my area. I did 3 funeral repass gigs this year. People are celebrating LOVE ones passing as opposed to mourning.
    Last edited by den1213; 04-02-2018 at 08:59 PM.

I noticed mobile djs are concentrating on making their 'booth' look better. Its nice but nobody cares unless you just do weddings. Plus, if you just do weddings and the reception is outside---good luck on cleaning mud, dirt and grime off your skirts, let alone your extension cords and speaker cables. But getting back to the lighted up and fancy booths---they are nice but you have to remember you have to spend time (an extra 30 minutes at least)putting lipstick on that frog.

BTW---last year I did an outdoor graduation party and it took 3 weeks to clean just the dust off my gear, speakers and cords... I hate outdoor events
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

I hate outdoors too but easily 75% of all my events are outdoors under flimsy gazebos or leaking marquees or with no protection and all like being on the beach. Cleaning is a forever chore However if you plan your rigs right you just breeze in and out. I have a ridiculous system that somehow works perfectly that i surprise myself but as DJ's we constantly adapt and evolve The future will be interesting and for all the fads and trends that will come and go a good DJ who has their heart in the job and for me my colourful personality and my love of being the MC assures me that as long as Iam alive, the work will remain. Note I said alive. I just came back from back to back weddings both needing the MC I have been as sick with the flu as can be. Muscle aches bad voice runny nose. BUT THE SHOW MUST GO ON> No one was the wiser of my pain and the be fair I can't think of a better cure than to just do what I love.

My only real FEAR for the future is dis-respect to the music. We all love a good remix However I can just see some DJ becoming a superstar by taking timeless classics 50s-70s like unchained melody, or the beatles,elvis, eagles, queen, led zeppelin or perish the thought Hendrix and making a new mix. Doing a cover I understand but Jive Bunny or JXL have taken some classics and jazzed them up without loosing the core but that techno remix of Smells like Teen spirit always makes me cringe especially if Iam asked to play it as much as I protest. Thankfully think it was only once.

Not doing weddings myself anymore, but from what i ve seen lately in regards to "tools", is that most DJs now use 3G/4G network with a Pool service (so many songs that you really cant own them all) and Remote control of their DJ software when for some reason you want to step out of the booth. Whenever i do mobile gigs i use VirtualDJ Remote application on my iphone and their DJ Pool service

You definitley need to have the internet where ever you are most venues have there own internet always ask for the wifi password when you get to your gigs makes life a little easier being able to play off of spotify youtube and other online music streaming sites.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    It's 2018 and I'm wondering if there are any trends that mobile DJs notice?

I've noticed that controllers are now the standard - over CDJs and TTs. I've also seen more VJing with monitors as opposed to lights.

What have you seen?
    Woah there. How is it that controllers are now the new 'standard' over CDJ's? I would think that it would be the other way around if that were to happen at all. Either one should suffice but if you are saying controllers are the new standard then I would like to ask how would define 'standard' and what is it about a controller that makes it such over a CDJ?
    Pair of Pioneer CDJ-2000 CD Players, Xone:92 Mixer. Pair of RCF-312A Loudspeakers and 1 RCF 4Pro 8003 18" Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
    Woah there. How is it that controllers are now the new 'standard' over CDJ's? I would think that it would be the other way around if that were to happen at all. Either one should suffice but if you are saying controllers are the new standard then I would like to ask how would define 'standard' and what is it about a controller that makes it such over a CDJ?
    What led to this comment was that for the past 2-3 years, I've not seen a mobile DJ perform with CDJs. Sure, CDJs are the club standard, but in the mobile DJ world, they don't seem to be. I mean "standard" - aka "de facto standard" - as in a custom or convention that has achieved a dominant position by public acceptance or market forces.

For the mobile DJ world, CDJs are more expensive and less flexible than what most mobile DJs need. I suppose that it's for those reasons that controllers seem to be the current de facto standard.

Feel free to disagree, Evolved. Have you seen more CDJs with mobile DJs?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...