Thread: Any new trends in the booth from a resident's point of view?

Any new trends in the booth from a resident's point of view?

It's 2018 and I'm wondering if there are any trends in clubs that residents would notice? Anything new in booths? Are controllers now being seen more? Are Pioneers still the defacto standard? Are TTs increasingly rare?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.

I think the touch-screen and wireless stuff is making it's way in the pro audio.. could be just me.

Would not trust anything digital except for a pioneer nexus setup with USB sticks. Too many variables with firmware, gear condition & model. Great example: El Capitan was in general not compatible with serato for almost a whole year. They gave a complicated list/disclaimer (which by the way was inaccurate)-but really zero fucks given about ensuring compatibility.

Therefore since I really prefer serato I almost always bring my own laptop, own decks and own mixer to clubs. I like doing instant doubles on serato and keeping a single CDJ on the left, a mixer in the middle and my laptop on the right where a traditional CDJ would go. In front of the laptop I put a DDJ-SP1 to trigger hot cues, samples and effects. I miss having 2 CDJs, but this way I can carry everything easily in 1 trip in and out of the club.

I do have great interest in Ableton and have experimented with the Ableton link and serato sample. It's really cool and the direction I think things are headed, but not very user friendly for me at this point. It requires so much practice and customization you lose the ability to react and change with the crowd easily.

my 2 cents...!

Quote Originally Posted by djcm1240 View Post
    Would not trust anything digital except for a pioneer nexus setup with USB sticks. Too many variables with firmware, gear condition & model.
    I think CD's at their core are digital.. if you mean a setup with digital outputs from the decks to the mixer it's a different thing. A Nexus setup, while being the industry standard, is *very* expensive by the way..

Great example: El Capitan was in general not compatible with serato for almost a whole year. They gave a complicated list/disclaimer (which by the way was inaccurate)-but really zero fucks given about ensuring compatibility.
    From all the OS X versions I think 10.6.8 Snow Leopard is still the most stable. I too had to revert back from El Capitan because of compatibility issues/laptop not even booting..

I feel that as much new technology that has come out we are still seeing that standard equipment in clubs.

Turntables, Rane mixer and Serato

Or

CDJ's, Pioneer mixer and Traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ LouNYC View Post
    CDJ's, Pioneer mixer and Traktor.
    I've read a lot of DJs complaining about the Pioneer mixers (DJM-600), especially about the sound quality.. it could have something to do with the fact that people are constantly redlining them though.

One trend I've been seeing is the number of DJs on a night increasing. A local promoter to me had 30 DJs playing across 2 rooms from 10pm til 4am. That's a ridiculous amount of DJs and the ultra short set times seem to defeat the point of it. Seems like he's going more for ticket sales rather than quality of talent.

I'm all for giving up and coming talent some exposure, but giving DJs 30-45 mins to spin is a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    One trend I've been seeing is the number of DJs on a night increasing. A local promoter to me had 30 DJs playing across 2 rooms from 10pm til 4am. That's a ridiculous amount of DJs and the ultra short set times seem to defeat the point of it. Seems like he's going more for ticket sales rather than quality of talent.

I'm all for giving up and coming talent some exposure, but giving DJs 30-45 mins to spin is a bit silly.
    Yes this is true but there's a reason for that and that is the advanced technology that allows much faster transitioning in conjunction with looping/hot cues/live editing capabilities which in contrast to a traditional DJ set allow the DJ to present the material in a more "highlighted" fashion.

Some old school disc jockeys and seasoned partygoers aren't used to that type of presentation of music as it's considered too hectic (and it may sound unprofessional at first I guess but the times are a-changing)

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Yes this is true but there's a reason for that and that is the advanced technology that allows much faster transitioning in conjunction with looping/hot cues/live editing capabilities which in contrast to a traditional DJ set allow the DJ to present the material in a more "highlighted" fashion.

Some old school disc jockeys and seasoned partygoers aren't used to that type of presentation of music as it's considered too hectic (and it may sound unprofessional at first I guess but the times are a-changing)
    If I'm honest, I'd argue that technology isn't a main factor in it. These DJs are spinning on CDJs, not laptops, so all they do is plug in, flick to the biggest tune they have, and play it. It's not about the art of DJing, it's more an attention seeking thing. A lot of these DJs have zero experience in clubs, and next to no concept of how to work a room, so they want their set to stand out. It doesn't work though if every 45 minutes a DJ is playing an intro track and killing the vibe on the floor... However, because they sell tickets, they get given slots. It worked at first and saw the event doing very well, but now it's declined massively.

I agree with your point on the older jocks not liking it, but I suppose that may be because the younger generations have a very short attention span with music!