Thread: Kontrol s4 RCA outputs

Kontrol s4 RCA outputs

My RCA output are messed up on my s4. I have to move the RCA connections around for the sound to come out cleanly. Anyone else have this issue? NI doesn't repair MK1 units anymore and they offered me a $200 voucher towards a new s4,or s8 but I'd rather just get a z1, and f1. Anyone have experience with fixing this issue on the s4?

The original S4 came out 8 years ago in 2010!!! If you have used it all this time (like I have), there are bound to be some things that happen over time. The RCAs are a prime example - since most typically forcefully push and pull on them, there's a tendency for their soldering points to become loose over time. While this hasn't happened to my S4, it happened to previous controllers (and other electronics) that I've had. I'm sure it's a simple matter of re-soldering the RCAs to the circuit board.

Fortunately, you don't have to do this because there is a TRS output that you can use:

I say use the TRS outputs to connect to RCAs. Sure you'll either need an adaptor or new TRS-to-RCA cables, but so what? I'd rather do that then open up the S4 and apply solder - or pay someone else to do it.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by tuga1102 View Post
    Or it could be RCA's surface oxidation ?
    Surface oxidation could make a bad contact so that connectors don't connect well .

@OP If you have surface oxidation problem you just need to sanding the RCAs otherwise you have to open your gear and re-solder , even replace RCAs .
    I've never thought of the sanding thing.. maybe steel wool?

But they'd have to be coated with very thin oil based lubricant or similar agent to protect them from rust..

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    I've never thought of the sanding thing.. maybe steel wool?

But they'd have to be coated with very thin oil based lubricant or similar agent to protect them from rust..
    They do ! But as the time go by (and depend on your frequency of use) the protecting layers will fading anyway .
    Steel wool is ok , the purpose is to remove the oxidation and restore a well surface .

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Good point. I didn't think of that, but that definitely is something to consider. Rep!
    From HaNoi with love

Quote Originally Posted by tuga1102 View Post
    Or it could be RCA's surface oxidation ?
    Good point. I didn't think of that, but that definitely is something to consider. Rep!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...