Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY rotary DJ mixer

DIY rotary DJ mixer

Hello DJF,

so, I used to design these on paper back in school... now I finally ordered the parts and started to build one.

You can follow the project in GroupDIY

Here's the block diagram for those who are interested. (mine doesn't have metering though but it's doable via separate outputs; I have an Omnitronic DB-100 led meter unused)

Any thoughts/ideas?

-ef

Watching... Good luck!
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Some pics for those who are too lazy to check the board :

Some of the components..

The mic pre and the phono cards (=RIAA preamps) soldered..

This might take a while.. I've yet to test them though apart from checking the grounds etc with a multimeter.

Neat. I personally would make the gain knobs instead cue send knobs that just send to the headphone, and then replace the cue selector knob with a three-way switch to cue, split, and master that selects horizontally in that order. I would also recommend providing both a master sum of the isolator and the ability to defeat each the summing selectively and go 2 or 3-way directly out of the isolator.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 01-14-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    Neat. I personally would make the gain knobs instead cue send knobs that just send to the headphone, and then replace the cue selector knob with a three-way switch to cue, split, and master that selects horizontally in that order. I would also recommend providing both a master sum of the isolator and the ability to defeat each the summing selectively and go 2 or 3-way directly out of the isolator.
    I've thought those through and decided to make it the old fashioned way... the reason for this is that I already have a Formula Sound PM-90 which has all the functionality and sound quality in the same package.

But, it's not a fully sentimental project..

(edit : I first assembled it like this and flipped the top piece the other way around... Those are something I misleadingly call soldering strips but they're sold as tag boards actually)

Here's the summing stage of the mixer... it's passive and completely discrete (edit : there's a mess of wires around the back). I think there's room to experiment a bit and try to achieve a very powerful gain structure, however that requires minimal functionality and some additional attention to the components.

Sorry.. should've posted this on "Equipment mods and DIY" instead...

Maybe a mod could move it?

Moved.......
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

All the input modules are in place now!

I'll post pictures later...

EDIT : The case and the output transformers along with a headphone amp arrived today.

Awesome looking project, efinque! Cant wait to the see the end result.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

What's your thoughts on having two isolators where you can assign either one to any channel?

If you're using two turntables, you can have an isolator for each one instead of just one for both.