Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing software

As always what style of DJ'ing are you going to do? What kind of gear are you going to use?

Quote Originally Posted by novicedj18 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to the DJ world and would like to get your best advice. What is your go-to mixing software to play music at your DJ gigs? Maybe we can get a general consensus on this, if possible.

Cheers,
    The primary three are Virtual DJ, Serato, and Traktor - Pioneer Rekordbox also deserves mention

I'll speak to my own experience. I started on Traktor, and it has served me well and I still use it today for my mobile gigging. The fact you can run Traktor DJ on iPhone or iPad is a nice backup in case of equipment failure. I had an AC Adapter fail on me and my laptop died - I was able to plug my controller into my phone (I forgot my iPad that day as well), and despite the small screen, I had waveforms to work with and was able to get through the rest of the night. That's a big benefit of Traktor that I'm not sure others have. Traktor also has direct integration with iTunes which makes library management a little easier (Though I have some gripes with this where believe it or not even Pioneer Rekordbox is now starting to surpass them).

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at either Traktor or Serato. I'd go Serato if you're interesting in VDJing. If not, Traktor is pretty cool and if you slap a F1 on your system now you have a very easy way to drop samples, finger drum, etc. (you can do it with the keyboard as well but I'm lazy).

*HOWEVER* For myself currently, with the release of the latest DDJ-1000 from Pioneer with the nice big jogwheels combined with Traktor's somewhat stagnant feature delivery cycle lately.. I'm highly considering switching to 100% rekordbox instead of dividing my time between them (I use Rekordbox for prepping tracks to play out in clubs with Pioneer gear). Plus the DDJ-1000 cosmetically makes the S4 look like a child's toy.

I used Traktor for about 10 years and had no complaints whatsoever. As of the last 2 years I have gotten away from it and just started using rekordbox as my record crate.
    The New pioneer gear (CDJ 1000mk2's and DJM-900nxs2) allows me to just drag songs to the players , the players have built in SYNC features so I can lazy mix whenever I feel like it.
    http://soundcloud.com/xtremesound/old-school-1
    In a mood for the 80's Lately!

Quote Originally Posted by novicedj18 View Post
    general consensus
    Well... The consensus is to stick general infront of it when ever using the term. However, it's not required. We simply pick it up as a bad habit from seeing/hearing others do it.

Always a lesson to be learned on the DJ pages.

Disclaimer: My English is very poor, just sharing what i know.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Disclaimer: My English is very poor, just sharing what i know.
    Hey, I've seen people from the U. S. that post a lot worse English than you.....
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Agree on this. I use Serato. But the others listed are great alternatives as well!

#1 for me is Mixvibes Cross DJ, #2 is Serato DJ Pro.

Unfortunately, Mixvibes has traded short term $$$'s gain (by concentrating solely on phone/tablet apps) for long term customer allegiance - IMHO financial suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    The primary three are Virtual DJ, Serato, and Traktor - Pioneer Rekordbox also deserves mention

I'll speak to my own experience. I started on Traktor, and it has served me well and I still use it today for my mobile gigging. The fact you can run Traktor DJ on iPhone or iPad is a nice backup in case of equipment failure. I had an AC Adapter fail on me and my laptop died - I was able to plug my controller into my phone (I forgot my iPad that day as well), and despite the small screen, I had waveforms to work with and was able to get through the rest of the night. That's a big benefit of Traktor that I'm not sure others have. Traktor also has direct integration with iTunes which makes library management a little easier (Though I have some gripes with this where believe it or not even Pioneer Rekordbox is now starting to surpass them).

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at either Traktor or Serato. I'd go Serato if you're interesting in VDJing. If not, Traktor is pretty cool and if you slap a F1 on your system now you have a very easy way to drop samples, finger drum, etc. (you can do it with the keyboard as well but I'm lazy).

*HOWEVER* For myself currently, with the release of the latest DDJ-1000 from Pioneer with the nice big jogwheels combined with Traktor's somewhat stagnant feature delivery cycle lately.. I'm highly considering switching to 100% rekordbox instead of dividing my time between them (I use Rekordbox for prepping tracks to play out in clubs with Pioneer gear). Plus the DDJ-1000 cosmetically makes the S4 look like a child's toy.
    Damn. Sounds like it was a bad night. Way to improvise. 👍🏼