Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Which controller should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Technically, active vs passive refers to the crossover. Active speakers use an electronic crossover, usually built into the amplifier itself. Unpowered speakers usually have a passive crossover built into the speaker cabinet. You can actually run many unpowered speakers "active" and many "powered" speakers are actually passive (especially cheaper ones).

But yes, in the DJ market "active" is almost always synonymous with "powered."
    I always forget about the crossover! Thanks for clarifying this, sss18734.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by AvidBirch View Post
    Haha nice, nothing to complain about then 😀

Yeah for that price I don’t expect too much, but nice to hear that the sound is relatively good, I think I’ll enjoy them for being my first speakers. And I won’t Dj anywhere else than at home for a time so they’ll fit perfect I hope.

So do you think XLR is a better choice then? Is it more expensive?
    Thanks for the tips, is it a big difference in sound having them down on the desk compared to on monitor stands?

/ AvidBirch

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    Yea, what KLH said, basically... sure, they'll work alright sitting on a desk, but they will sound better if they are up near head height. Usually, you're standing when you're DJing.. but you don't have to be... If these speakers will be used for just general enjoyment, standing/sitting/lying.. then bring them up around 5 ft/1.5M for a nice compromise.

Anyway, it's not necessary to worry about this too much. If you have a nice shelf to put them on, that works too.. the desk will also work. You can add stands later, it'll be nicer when/if you do.

As far as the cables, yea, TRS to XLR (Male.. make sure they are male) is more expensive than TRS to TRS, and they sound the same. The only diff with XLR are 1) as I said, less chance of damaging the speaker if it were to fall.. and 2) If you ever get real PA speakers for DJing parties.. those are the cables you will need. But again, it is not necessary to worry about this now.. and if you are tight on cash get the TRS to TRS and call it good. But I would get at least 6ft (2M)+ long cables so you have some ability to arrange the speakers as you go along.

Then the last thing you need.. and you really do need these.. not sure if it was discussed already.. is headphones.. and they have to be "closed-back" aka "sealed" headphones.. they don't have to be expensive ones but having decent ones does make learning easier.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Whether you use RCAs, TRS, or XLR doesn't make a sonic difference. The latter two use physics to prevent noise from entering the signal during long cable runs... which you won't experience for a while.

As for stands versus desk, it's preference. LoM is right, you ultimately want the sound to be at ear level... but having sound is what is important at this stage, right?

At this point, you really just need to get the equipment and start practicing. The rest will fall into place organically.

Have fun!
    Okay thanks, I think I’ll go for TRS in each end, feels easiest that way. But I’ll take a look!

Yeah you’re right, right now I just want to start playing and having a ok sound, I can get the stands later!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Yea, what KLH said, basically... sure, they'll work alright sitting on a desk, but they will sound better if they are up near head height. Usually, you're standing when you're DJing.. but you don't have to be... If these speakers will be used for just general enjoyment, standing/sitting/lying.. then bring them up around 5 ft/1.5M for a nice compromise.

Anyway, it's not necessary to worry about this too much. If you have a nice shelf to put them on, that works too.. the desk will also work. You can add stands later, it'll be nicer when/if you do.

As far as the cables, yea, TRS to XLR (Male.. make sure they are male) is more expensive than TRS to TRS, and they sound the same. The only diff with XLR are 1) as I said, less chance of damaging the speaker if it were to fall.. and 2) If you ever get real PA speakers for DJing parties.. those are the cables you will need. But again, it is not necessary to worry about this now.. and if you are tight on cash get the TRS to TRS and call it good. But I would get at least 6ft (2M)+ long cables so you have some ability to arrange the speakers as you go along.

Then the last thing you need.. and you really do need these.. not sure if it was discussed already.. is headphones.. and they have to be "closed-back" aka "sealed" headphones.. they don't have to be expensive ones but having decent ones does make learning easier.
    Thanks! I think they’ll do good standing on the desk, as said earlier I just want the sound at the moment 😊

Anyway, I got the monitors today and they look really cool. A bit bigger and heavier than I thought but I’m sure I’ll enjoy them.

Now I just need cables... and actually, I think I’ll go for TRS to XLR. I found one for a good price, 3m long.
    I hope this is correct:
    TRS output on the DDJ-SR, XLR input on the monitors. The TRS end of the cable: 6,3mm stereo, balanced (it has those two rings).
    The XLR end: Normal XLR contact.
    The DDJ-SR manual says that either balanced or unbalanced works, so that should be ok.

I will need 2 cables since the monitors not are connected to each other, and because of that it shouldn’t matter which of them is the Left/Right one?
    I know that the output on the DDJ-SR says Left/Right, but it shouldn’t matter which one of the speakers I use in respective output, since there’s no difference between the monitors, right?

Would be nice with an answer from you guys if everything sounds right, I don’t wanna buy wrong cables... 😬

Thanks in advance!

/ AvidBirch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidBirch View Post
    I will need 2 cables since the monitors not are connected to each other, and because of that it shouldn’t matter which of them is the Left/Right one?
    I know that the output on the DDJ-SR says Left/Right, but it shouldn’t matter which one of the speakers I use in respective output, since there’s no difference between the monitors, right?
    You are correct. Cables is cables...speakers is speakers. Its just sending a signal down the wire, so you can connect it up how you wish.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

So I got the cables yesterday, and believe it or not, everything works!
    So now I’m going to practise, practise, and practise.

Would like to thank you guys for giving me good advice and making me choose the right things!

/ AvidBirch

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I always forget about the crossover! Thanks for clarifying this, sss18734.
    Lots of cheap powered speakers don't have an active crossover. At least the ones I've seen inside. They have 1 amp feeding a passive cross over, then to the speakers.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 01-24-2018 at 06:08 PM.