Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which controller should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Speakers on the controller are your preference. I've seen people not use them because you can hear the output in headphones (as well as the cue). Besides, you can always record your mix and then play it elsewhere. If you do decide to get speakers, you can use PC desktop speakers if you want to save some money. If you want to splurge, you can get studio monitors (which are much higher in quality relative to the PC desktop speakers).

As for cables and connections, you'll definitely need them, but we cannot say what you'll need cable-wise because you haven't finished buying things yet. Cables depend on the type of equipment and connection made between them. At the end, you'll build up a cache of cables over time. What's important is understanding what cables and adaptors are used for analog and digital connections... and the plugs they use.
    Thanks!

So there are people who doesn’t use speakers at all or...?

I’ve been looking at studio speakers and I’ve found a few models in ok priceclass.
    Yeah I guess I’ll buy speakers first and than look for cables and connections.

I would like to know if all powered speakers work though? Or do they need to have special kind of terminals? Would be easier to search for a pair I like if I know the requirements they need to have to work with the Ddj-Sr...

/ AvidBirch

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AvidBirch View Post
    So there are people who doesn’t use speakers at all or...?
    Yep. They just use headphones.

I would like to know if all powered speakers work though?
    Yep. "Active" or "Powered" speakers means that the amplifier is embedded within the speaker. "Passive" or "Unpowered" speakers do not have the amplifier built in, so they need an amp to work. If the amp is the same, then there is literally no sonic difference between the two. If you have a stereo amplifier around, just get passive speakers and be done. If not, buy PC desktop speakers - which are often active - and be done. In the end, speakers are speakers... and yes, you can always spend more.

As for cables, seriously learn about connectors and you'll be set.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Yep. "Active" or "Powered" speakers means that the amplifier is embedded within the speaker. "Passive" or "Unpowered" speakers do not have the amplifier built in, so they need an amp to work. If the amp is the same, then there is literally no sonic difference between the two. If you have a stereo amplifier around, just get passive speakers and be done. If not, buy PC desktop speakers - which are often active - and be done. In the end, speakers are speakers... and yes, you can always spend more.

As for cables, seriously learn about connectors and you'll be set.
    Thank you, will take a look!

/ AvidBirch

Question: does it matter if I connect the speakers to the master output or the booth/master output? Is there any difference? Depends on which cables I should get...

/ AvidBirch

Which controller should I buy?

Question: does it matter if I connect the speakers to the master output or the booth/master output? Is there any difference? Depends on which cables I should get...

/ AvidBirch

No difference between what comes out of the Master and Booth except the Booth outputs will have another Volume control. This is done so the speakers in the DJ booth don't have to be SO loud when your main (Master) speakers are blaring away!

Some mixers have different dBu levels ( Master 0dBu and the Booth Output is -2dBu), in which case, you won't get the volume you'd get through the Masters. You'd need to check the specs on your controller/mixer.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 01-18-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    No difference between what comes out of the Master and Booth except the Booth outputs will have another Volume control. This is done so the speakers in the DJ booth don't have to be SO loud when your main (Master) speakers are blaring away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okay thanks!

I found a used pair of these yesterday:

https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/270910/5317641_800.jpg

https://4dj.co.uk/wp-content/uploads...k-1170x750.jpg

As I understand it, a TRS cable with a male in each end (1 cable for each speaker) should work, in to the TRS output (the master out) on the DDJ-SR. Correct me if I’m wrong 😊

/ AvidBirch

Yea the BX8 is a pretty good speaker, I had a pair of BX5's floating around my house.. actually, my friend (call him #1) borrowed them from another mutual friend (call him #2).. and then somehow friend #1 (who does not have a car) found it easier to leave them at my place thinking that eventually they would make it back to friend #2. So after a while of nothing happening, I mentioned to friend #2, who I worked with at the time, that I have his speakers and does he want me to bring them to him, it's no trouble, etc. He said no, don't worry about it.. hold on to them. So I started using them in the bedroom It turns out that friend #2 was trying to make a point to friend #1 that he borrowed them and he needs to bring them back and not just leave them at my place So, I ended up having them for a couple of years!

Anyway I enjoyed the BX5's, I've heard the BX8's.. they sound similar but more bass. They are not WOW sounding but you cannot expect that for the price.. you can expect "Hey these are pretty nice". Good speakers for home DJing for sure.

And yes, if your controller has TRS outputs, a TRS to TRS cable for each speaker is what you want. A TRS Male to XLR Make will work exactly the same but results in a more sturdy connection on the back of the speaker, TRS are more prone to damage if the speaker were to fall off the stand or the table. Ultimately you want to get these speakers up to your ear height when you are DJing, so a pair of monitor stands is a good idea. I have Onstage SMS6000, they do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Yea the BX8 is a pretty good speaker, I had a pair of BX5's floating around my house.. actually, my friend (call him #1) borrowed them from another mutual friend (call him #2).. and then somehow friend #1 (who does not have a car) found it easier to leave them at my place thinking that eventually they would make it back to friend #2. So after a while of nothing happening, I mentioned to friend #2, who I worked with at the time, that I have his speakers and does he want me to bring them to him, it's no trouble, etc. He said no, don't worry about it.. hold on to them. So I started using them in the bedroom It turns out that friend #2 was trying to make a point to friend #1 that he borrowed them and he needs to bring them back and not just leave them at my place So, I ended up having them for a couple of years!

Anyway I enjoyed the BX5's, I've heard the BX8's.. they sound similar but more bass. They are not WOW sounding but you cannot expect that for the price.. you can expect "Hey these are pretty nice". Good speakers for home DJing for sure.

And yes, if your controller has TRS outputs, a TRS to TRS cable for each speaker is what you want. A TRS Male to XLR Make will work exactly the same but results in a more sturdy connection on the back of the speaker, TRS are more prone to damage if the speaker were to fall off the stand or the table. Ultimately you want to get these speakers up to your ear height when you are DJing, so a pair of monitor stands is a good idea. I have Onstage SMS6000, they do the job.
    Haha nice, nothing to complain about then 😀

Yeah for that price I don’t expect too much, but nice to hear that the sound is relatively good, I think I’ll enjoy them for being my first speakers. And I won’t Dj anywhere else than at home for a time so they’ll fit perfect I hope.

So do you think XLR is a better choice then? Is it more expensive?
    Thanks for the tips, is it a big difference in sound having them down on the desk compared to on monitor stands?

/ AvidBirch

So do you think XLR is a better choice then? Is it more expensive?
    Thanks for the tips, is it a big difference in sound having them down on the desk compared to on monitor stands?
    Whether you use RCAs, TRS, or XLR doesn't make a sonic difference. The latter two use physics to prevent noise from entering the signal during long cable runs... which you won't experience for a while.

As for stands versus desk, it's preference. LoM is right, you ultimately want the sound to be at ear level... but having sound is what is important at this stage, right?

At this point, you really just need to get the equipment and start practicing. The rest will fall into place organically.

Have fun!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Yep. "Active" or "Powered" speakers means that the amplifier is embedded within the speaker. "Passive" or "Unpowered" speakers do not have the amplifier built in, so they need an amp to work.
    Technically, active vs passive refers to the crossover. Active speakers use an electronic crossover, usually built into the amplifier itself. Unpowered speakers usually have a passive crossover built into the speaker cabinet. You can actually run many unpowered speakers "active" and many "powered" speakers are actually passive (especially cheaper ones).

But yes, in the DJ market "active" is almost always synonymous with "powered."