Thread: Denon sc3900 + pioneer s9 + serato dj

Denon sc3900 + pioneer s9 + serato dj

I've been using the sc3900s as standalone (usb stick) players for years. I decided to buy an S9 and use serato dj with my sc3900s. Haven't tried this setup yet as I'm waiting on my new laptop.

Does anyone have this setup? Are there issues with serato dj and the 3900s in hybrid mode or midi mapping? I've been trying to research but can't seem to find a clear answer ( especially in recent years. Lots of incomplete one info). I've seen pics of this setup no mention of how they are using it or issues they're having.
    Last edited by coalcut; 12-28-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coalcut View Post
    I've been using the sc3900s as standalone (usb stick) players for years. I decided to buy an S9 and use serato dj with my sc3900s. Haven't tried this setup yet as I'm waiting on my new laptop.

Does anyone have this setup? Are there issues with serato dj and the 3900s in hybrid mode or midi mapping? I've been trying to research but can't seem to find a clear answer ( especially in recent years. Lots of incomplete one info). I've seen pics of this setup no mention of how they are using it or issues they're having.
    General issue with SC3900 and SDJ is that it's not possible to have correct LED feedback on the unit (off/dimmed buttons when the function is off, on when on) because Serato changed midi out range for custom midi mappings between SSL and SDJ. General consensus it that Serato done it intentionally to break support for third party controllers. There is a workaround to light all of the buttons on the unit and keep them on.

Also, SDJ gets confused by the non-ending timecode signal generated by the units (because of licencing issues it's not a 100% Serato timecode) so it's been known to randomly switch into INT mode. Common workaround is to map a keyboard button for switching back into REL mode.

Set things up in 2 stages, first only using the SC units to play a official timecode CD/file from USB to verify other things are set properly. To be completely honest, because of S9 midi buttons and controls on the mixer I see very little use of SC3900's midi buttons in hybrid midi mode. Maybe it would be best to just use them to play timecode from a file on usb, makes for easier switching in case of laptop/software issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    General issue with SC3900 and SDJ is that it's not possible to have correct LED feedback on the unit (off/dimmed buttons when the function is off, on when on) because Serato changed midi out range for custom midi mappings between SSL and SDJ. General consensus it that Serato done it intentionally to break support for third party controllers. There is a workaround to light all of the buttons on the unit and keep them on.

Also, SDJ gets confused by the non-ending timecode signal generated by the units (because of licencing issues it's not a 100% Serato timecode) so it's been known to randomly switch into INT mode. Common workaround is to map a keyboard button for switching back into REL mode.

Set things up in 2 stages, first only using the SC units to play a official timecode CD/file from USB to verify other things are set properly. To be completely honest, because of S9 midi buttons and controls on the mixer I see very little use of SC3900's midi buttons in hybrid midi mode. Maybe it would be best to just use them to play timecode from a file on usb, makes for easier switching in case of laptop/software issues.
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful. This was one of my fears about moving to serato (Sc3900s not working correctly / drama). Really don't feel like dealing with it but I'll give it a shot once my new laptop arrives.